Upgrading AMD Athlon XP

jairbear.tcs

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
I would like to upgrade my 1094.1 MHx AMD Athlon XP to something with SSE2 support WITHOUT changing my motherboard. I assume I have a 462 plug. The Pentium 4 looks good but I don't think it will fit my slot. Is there an adapter?
Also I have a NVidia nForce2 motherboard.

Thanks!

Solution
Changing the motherboard is pretty much building a whole new PC.
New motherboard, new CPU, maybe new RAM.
New OS license.

That Athlon has run its course. Let it die.

USAFRet

Titan

No, there is no adapter to put an Intel CPU on that motherboard.
None.

Upgrade on that motherboard? No.
It is ancient. It's had its run. Time to move on.

jairbear.tcs

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018

How hard/how much money would it take to change the motherboard?
I am just a student so I don't get much money at all.

I have a modern computer but this particular PC I want to upgrade is my older computer which I use for normal every day work (I hate Windows 10, so I prefer XP where I can).

I want SSE2 so I can run things like Advanced Chrome (XP compatible fork of modern versions of Google Chrome), Avast antivirus for xp (yes, they still do support us!) and Onenote 2010.

Could you suggest anything that I could get that would be cheap, reliable and support sse2 (something with Pentium 4 maybe??).
Ebay is where I get most of my stuff.

I would like to be able to keep most of my current hardware and just update the bare minimum (preferably 32bit so I don't have to install XP 64bit.

Thanks for your time!

jairbear.tcs

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jairbear.tcs : "Looking for motherboard that supports SSE2"

Hello all!

I currently have a NVidia nForce2 with a AMD Athlon XP (1094.1 MHz).
I would like SSE2 support, and just a note that this is my XP machine and I have a modern computer as well so I am NOT looking for a modern upgrade, I just want an old sse2 cpu for my favourite pc so I can run things like Advanced Chrome (link), AVG Antivirus for XP (link) and onenote 2010.

A few points:

- Is there an adapter for my current motherboard that will support something with sse2
I don't think there is but just checking before I have to change my motherboard.

Requirements for new motherboard:

- Can I keep my existing setup (2 sata HDDs, 4 gb ram, CD-ROM drive & SATA DVD-Ram drive, all on a 32bit Windows XP installation which I would preferably like to NOT have to reinstall, but I can if it's last resort.

- Something cheap.
I am just a student, so while I want something as reliable as my current setup, I want it kept cheap because I don't have much money. Ebay would be the ideal place to get it from.

Any motherboard suggestions/how to's would be appreciated. Looking online, a Pentium 4 looks like a good CPU but any suggestions would be great.

Thank you in advanced!