Upgrading AMD CPU

Aiden_2000

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Hey there

I currently have a AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz processor with a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Motherboard (AM3+ socket). After attempting to overclock several times and it never working I have decided to purchase a new processor. Now I kinda wish I had of gotten an Intel motherboard and processor now as I could more easily upgrade but I didn't so. I would like to just upgrade the processor and not the motherboard as well is this possible and whats the best AMD card for gaming/ match with my AMD R9-380X 4GB.

Hereis one I have looked at: https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/products_review.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=14&sid=186680

Thanks!

Solution
Dump speedfan.

Prime95
Amd overdrive
Cpu-z

All you need.
Keep both onscreen , you're after thermal margins in overdrive & cpu-vcore on cpu-z (just after the voltage when a prime test is running)

The load voltage will tell you whether you need a bump once you follow my instruction above.
If you can run prime stable & vtage is 1.33v or less under load at 4ghz there is room to push the clocks higher even on that ds3p board.
By all that is Holy, NO!

Over priced, under performing and incendiary, AND your motherboard is not up to it and cannot handle the 220W of power. (It was your Aussie sense of humour, right ? :) ).

Your motherboard should have been fine for the FX 6300 and overclocking. What was the problem?

Even a 8320E is a bit more than I would want to overclock with the power phases on that motherboard, but it might work.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED
DO NOT get that cpu even at normal price it is basically a pre overclocked 8350 with 400% the thermal output if you are not getting a new motherbaord get this
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-8-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463445409&sr=1-1&keywords=amd+fx+8350
if you are willing to get a new motherboard get a intel i5 6500 or a 6600k if you can afford it
and for that gpu a fx 6300 is fine it may bottleneck it a bit so to fix that put the 6300 on turbo frequency of 4.1ghz

What is this PC used for?

If for gaming, don't bother. Most games use 2-4 cores, and an FX8350's only advantage is that it has 8 cores instead of 6 - they're still the same cores.

If you're doing a lot of comperssion/encoding/rendering, an FX-8xxx CPU could be a reasonable upgrade.

Aiden_2000

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Firstly this PC is used for Gaming right now - I play a fair bit of ARMA 3 and DayZ so they are CPU intensive games. If I got the Intel Processor and MOBO Id be willing to spend like a total of $500 AUD maybe a little more if I was convinced.

I built this PC and PC hardware isn't my strong point - software is hahahaahahaha

Secondly the problem I have been having with the overclock is 1. not finding a YouTube tutorial for this MOBO 2. when I tried to do this my self of a guide from this site and still no luck - usually when I restart I get a BIOS error along the lines of CPU clock rate is 0.0GHz or something about power. So yeah.

Aiden_2000

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I built this PC and PC hardware isn't my strong point - software is hahahaahahaha

Secondly the problem I have been having with the overclock is 1. not finding a YouTube tutorial for this MOBO 2. when I tried to do this my self of a guide from this site and still no luck - usually when I restart I get a BIOS error along the lines of CPU clock rate is 0.0GHz or something about power. So yeah.

Aiden_2000

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Tapped out?

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602
if this is it is will work for mostly anything i would say a 9590 or 9370 is a bad idea but on ANY board it is
if you are not looking to upgrade your motherboard get a fx 8350 or 8370 as they are the most powerful cpus for that board
if you can upgrade your motherboard get a new intel motherboard with a intel i5 6500 or 6600k if you can afford it

^ pointless upgrading to any 8 core over a 6300, once pushed past 4ghz the 6300 performs the same in any gaming scenario.

Aiden - drop in bios

Turbo core - disabled
Multiplier 20x (4ghz)
Hpc (high performance mode) - enabled

Should do that stock voltage

Give it a standard prime run, keep amd overdrive on screen & check thermal margins are OK & watch for throttling - all cores should sit 4000mhz or very close to.
If any cores fail drop back in bios & change llc (load line calibration ) to high.

Aiden_2000

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

Thank you, if I cant overclock I will probably take this path.

Dump speedfan.

Prime95
Amd overdrive
Cpu-z

All you need.
Keep both onscreen , you're after thermal margins in overdrive & cpu-vcore on cpu-z (just after the voltage when a prime test is running)

The load voltage will tell you whether you need a bump once you follow my instruction above.
If you can run prime stable & vtage is 1.33v or less under load at 4ghz there is room to push the clocks higher even on that ds3p board.

Solution
If that motherboard can't overclock a FX-6300 it will not overclock another FX CPU... so first disable the BIOS/Windows Power Saving options which may be obstructing the overclock... once that's done, try overclocking the FX-6300 with AMD Overdrive.