Question upgrading amd ryzen 5 3400G about 4 years old

doginpc

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade or build a new pc ( I've never done that) for home office use-no gaming. What are my options?
I currently have this -
It says motherboard is Lenovo BDPLANAR M MB AM4 PR560 WIN DPK but doesn't list any processors in the parts list.
Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Memory: 13.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Vega 11 Graphics
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 11A9CTO1WW
System Version: ThinkCentre M75s-1
Thanks

doginpc

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
it's an ssd. It originally came with windows and sleep/ suspend never worked. Upgraded to windows 11 and still didn't work. Tried Linux and sleep doesn't work. So I'm just turning it off every night after it stays running all day.
Over all just seems to get a little slower each year. I notice just opening videos in firefox causes the fan to kick on hi just from that. It has wifi which I need but it's the older version.
Boots up very slow
Bios is up to date.

it's an ssd. It originally came with windows and sleep/ suspend never worked. Upgraded to windows 11 and still didn't work. Tried Linux and sleep doesn't work. So I'm just turning it off every night after it stays running all day.
Over all just seems to get a little slower each year. I notice just opening videos in firefox causes the fan to kick on hi just from that. It has wifi which I need but it's the older version.
Boots up very slow
Bios is up to date.
Show a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo.

Innards nice and clean?

logainofhades

Titan
Have you ever done a fresh install of windows on this? Likely the current install is just full of junk, from updates. Make sure all fans and heatsinks are dust free. Might need to reapply thermal paste, for the CPU. What kind of budget do you have, for a new system?

doginpc

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Have you ever done a fresh install of windows on this? Likely the current install is just full of junk, from updates. Make sure all fans and heatsinks are dust free. Might need to reapply thermal paste, for the CPU. What kind of budget do you have, for a new system?
I took windows off and just have linux now. I opened up the case and there wasn't much dust. Trying to stay under 6-$700
I put windows 10 back in and it goes to sleep then immediately wakes up. Does this no matter what OS I use

Last edited:
I took windows off and just have linux now. I opened up the case and there wasn't much dust. Trying to stay under 6-$700

If you are looking for an upgradable platform:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 8600G 4.3 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($96.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool CC360 ARGB MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX 3.0 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $698.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-06 01:35 EDT-0400

Reactions: logainofhades

Latest posts