Upgrading an AMD A8-4500M APU ?

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Hi all,

I have an Acer laptop, V3-551-8887 - bought in late Oct I believe, I needed a laptop, dog ruined my primary by knocking it over one too many times, my backup went, I had nothing. So while I wanted the $1100 ASUS, I got the ~$500 Acer.

while I got somewhat bamboozled as far as being told how it was a superlaptop in casual clothing and the best performance value-for-dollar they had etc. it has done OK. It came w/ 4 GB RAM and I bought two 4 GB upon purchasing/left the store with so I upgraded the RAM to 8GB as soon as I got it. Now I'm thinking about the Processor?

I had an ASUS G50VT-X5 in early 2009 through mid 2011, awesome machine, mini super-laptop for me at least. I cannot remember the specs but I researched and got the highest Intel I believe Core Duo 2? i could at the time, maybe it was 2.13 Ghz? Anyway I had some help one day watch over me and I dropped it in, no big project just nerve wrecking, but came out fine. I am wondering if I can do the same, is there a processor (processors?) I can upgrade to to max this out?

It reads as AMD A&-4500M with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics- 1.90GHz. I remember the salesclerk kid telling me none of the other ones under $900-1000 had a graphics card or a decent graphics set up, this one had a graphics mini-feature built onto the processor. So I don't know how this would affect me here.. if there is anything I can do I would be interested. (Even if it was , Hey you can get a new chip that upgrades the Processor but same graphics or whatever..)

Thanks much for everyones time and help in advance.

Solution
A8-4500M can be upgraded to A10-4600M/A10-4655M or even the newest A10-5750M, and there is a Richland version coming soon that is supposed to be even better. (Soon is mid-June btw). So, if you want to upgrade you can...all the A series APUs have built in graphics, and with each generation they get better. Your's is a Trinity APU which is the current version and it's not quite the most potent model they offered, but it's a higher end one. The Richland series is the next generation coming, and it's supposed to be more potent with higher clock speeds and better graphics.

Good luck!

Here is AMD's info about the A10 for notebooks:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/pages/consumer-notebooks.aspx#/6

This is the listing of APUs...

8350rocks

Distinguished
A8-4500M can be upgraded to A10-4600M/A10-4655M or even the newest A10-5750M, and there is a Richland version coming soon that is supposed to be even better. (Soon is mid-June btw). So, if you want to upgrade you can...all the A series APUs have built in graphics, and with each generation they get better. Your's is a Trinity APU which is the current version and it's not quite the most potent model they offered, but it's a higher end one. The Richland series is the next generation coming, and it's supposed to be more potent with higher clock speeds and better graphics.

Good luck!

Here is AMD's info about the A10 for notebooks:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/pages/consumer-notebooks.aspx#/6

This is the listing of APUs available that fit the socket in your notebook:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/pages/consumer-notebooks.aspx#/7

As your APU is 35W any of those listed above would work as an upgrade for your current laptop, and some will have improved graphics others will have the same graphics as you have now.

Top of the line is 2.5 GHz with a 3.5 GHz Turbo Core, and that's a Quad core CPU (A10-5750M)

Solution
You can upgrade to the A8-4600m as long as the BIOS can recognize that APU.

The same goes for Richland APUs. Since Richland is a new APU series, that laptop with the A8-4600m will definitely not have any Richland APU listed as a compatible APU. You will need to update the BIOS (assuming the manufacturer provides such an update) prior to installing the Richland APU.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
hey guys I am sorry to continue bothering, I just feel like since ya'll are so knowledgeable I'd like to borrow your resource as much as I can if that didn't sound too completely not-nice.

I am finding plenty of information about these "Richland" processors and the A10-5750M but no where to actually buy them anywhere. It says they've been released but they can't seem to be located.

I AM finding two specific Trinity models that are available and seem to be something I might want- both A10's, an A10-5800K and an A10-5700. The 5800K is a 3.8GHz turbo to 4.2 , the 5700 is a 3.4 GHz turbo to 4.0 .. .both have what looks to be the Radeon 7660D Graphics (and I have the 7640G to go along with my A8-4500M 1.9 GHz).

One thing I did find a comparison online of the those two, the 5800K was significantly better in one readout area, marginally better in another readout area, and nowhere not as good as the 5700 BUT- the 5700 WAS SIGNIFICANTLY less power consumption so I assume that means better battery life (and cooler running I surmise?)

They look pretty same price wise, I found $128 and $127 online Newegg and I can handle that, w/o a comparison of the new Richland its hard to tell, if its' 349-$400 and this is $128 I might jut do that but I do really like the idea of the newest technology etc.

Anyway I ask this all because I thought I was supposed to only go for 35W and these two are 65W and 100W so is that meaning I can't use them or should not? Ok thanks again I appreciate your helps.

(Next will be upgrading my old man's Sony VAIO from 2010, I will be asking for the reco's soon lol :) one thing at a time.

"Released" meaning that they have been shipped to laptop manufacturers who have yet to release Richland based laptop in the retail market. It is considered a "paper launch". Richland APUs will likely be available for purchase only if production can exceed OEM (brand name manufacture) demands for those chips.

As I stated before, any attempt to install a Richland APU in a laptop currently with a Trinity APU will likely need a BIOS upgrade from the laptop's manufacturer. Installing a non supported APU may simply prevent the laptop from booting up.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Thanks... I had read that updating and or changing in general at all , BIOS, was one of the riskiest and least desirable things t oever do unless under extreme duress so I hadn't really wanted to try that... I was hoping for a plug and play processor like I did in 2009, summer time I just googled the info, bought the like 2.3 GHZ Intel Core Duo for my ASUS G50VT-X5, removed the like 1.7 or 1.9 it came with, used some of the thermal paste, plugged, played, all good under the hood.

Hoping for that here but seems not as simple.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I called AMD this morning and an EXTREMELY RUDE AND POMPOUS gentleman named Mark told me basically first off, I suck and he hates me, second, both he and Amd cannot be bothered with individual users, third, you can't buy processors for a notebook/laptop at the retail level. Maybe I should be speaking with my OEM Partner?? I was like ,I need to talk with who partner now? Yeah I can't get it a processor, they don't allow them to be sold. When I pointed out that several websites have the processors for sale just not the one I wanted , he said they were for desktops not notebooks and they don't allow them.

Now I obviously don't exactly buy it but what a not nice person and completely arrogant and pompous individual with the way he treated me. Basically also said if I can't get down with his explanation and lingo I shouldn't be thinking about this anyway. *** So just because I caught you trying to gloss over me with big words that didn't apply to this, [as I am an English minor you won't usually beat me with big words and if you do you really ARE that smart so I would listen to you], you won't help me. And also when I directed him to the exact page on their website that mentioned Richland being released "not rumors of a new project" he basically would not even discuss it anymore.

Its okay I probably shouldn't do this right away as I just bought a tablet on Saturday impulsively so I shouldn't be spending the money, but in 2009 when I wanted to upgrade a processor, it was so simple, I posted on a forum like this, asked what would be the maxed-out-chip I could use in my ASUS, someone said "This Intel Core Duo xxxx", I googled and found it at like NewEgg or Tigerdirect i forget, and said "This one? Ok sold" bought it. This is harder lol.

BUT PLEASE LET ME THANKEVERYONE FOR THEIR SUPPORT AND HELP. VERY APPRECIATED.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You found an anomaly, normally AMD support are very knowledgeable and helpful...he must be one of the few that isn't.

Additionally, he is likely new, as he was uninformed and combative about the situation. If I were you, I would try back in the next few days and speak to someone else who might actually know what they're talking about. I've normally had much better service than that for their customer support, but I suppose you get a bad egg every now and again.

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Hey thank you for your reply and information at least I have it straight now . To be perfectly honest , before I even posted this I did in fact call back shortly after I had that experience. It was incidentially 12:00 PM sharp (EST) and I didn't even think, but I got a message saying they were closed for the next hour (Lunch?) and to try back later.

See what really bothers me is I might be getting my signals crossed but it looks like , what I really want to do is wait for that Richland A10-5750M right? It's a big upgrade and it uses the 35W power source and compatible (hopefully - the BIOS deal is something I'm hoping will magically not give me a problem). Because if I am understanding this right the two A10 processors I am finding for sale are in fact NOT compatible for me, the 5800K and 5700 are in fact 100W and 65W and so not going to work?

And so after that I am not seeing any actual processor I could go and buy / find on a site for sale, that would work in my system (and be an upgrade of course). I might be wrong there but that is how I am seeing everything right now. As usual THANKS TO ALL I mean it.

acinacip90

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

hi all,.. i had asus laptop, AMD a8-4500m, HD radeon 7640g + 7470M ,. model laptop, ( A45DR ) can i replace the AMD a8 (mine) with AMD a10-5750m?? the problem is, does my laptop will running normal using the CPU , or my laptop will not support for the CPU cause of it heating higher than a8?? or any part of the laptop will not support for the a10 CPU?? help me please??

KCtek

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Here's the thing, the 4500m is a low-power (19 watt) APU. any better processor AMD provides will drain a lot more power, so at best your battery life will be horrible. At worst, the APU will not even receive enough power from the battery and/or charger and will simply not run. Second, both the 5800k and the 5700 are Desktop processors, and will not work with a laptop. The only place you might have any luck is on Ebay. Chinese stores like alibaba sometimes sell them, but alibaba and the like are extremely unreliable and not worth the risk. If you can actually find one of the faster a10s. (4600m), there's no harm in trying, just make sure you let us know how it goes!

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Lol - thread life resuscitation.... in case anyone cares, the Acer Aspire V3 with the AMD A8-4500. -. very unlucky with it...my beloved best friend cattledog managed to Knock it over seriously one or two times and it got worse and Worse-., eventually got horrible and just died, dead.

As I never got to upgrade it, I thought it would be fitting to come back here and mention I'finally am reaching the peak of AMD s cpu mountain:

I just ordered an Acer Aspire V5 -552pGx469... which features top of the Mountain "Richland"CPU: AMD A10-5757M with AMD Radeon HD 8750M and lots of other nice stuff, I will update when it comes in!

tAKticool

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I was told *you could* in fact buy it but I was never able to actually find it for sale.

Now my new Acer Aspire V5-552PG-X469 comes with the A10-5757M but apparently it is soldered to the board so it's not upgradeable or removeable at all.

amd gamer

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

The amd a10 5750m IS Richland based on some google pages

Mister PC

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Hi, if you have a laptop with an AMD A8-4500M (like myself) and would like to upgrade then wonder no more. You can in fact upgrade to the AMD A10-5750M with no problems at all (like I did). Buy the AMD A10-5750M here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Brand-new-top-AMD-A10-Series-A10-5750M-AM5750DEC44HL-2-5-4M-Turbo-frequency-3500/1391254590.html?af=ppc&isdl=y&src=Google&albch=Google&albcp=Search_Search-ALL-PLA&albkw=None_US-Shopping-Search-Product-AliExpress_none_none&albag=home_none_Search-ALL-PLA_1013999999870&albmt=broad&albst=search-text&albom=OTHERS_None_20130807_Aliexpress&creative=31447451305&ptsid=1013999999870&gclid=CN_j8tSb9bwCFe87MgodZiIAPQ
It requires no updates of bios as long as you have higher than f.23. It is plug and play (pretty much). Enjoy your improved gaming machine :)

ajr03x

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

Hi mister PC you can upload some video to see ur laptop new apu working? does the dual graphics work well?

kuchienkz

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

HI Mister PC.

I have acer E1-451G (with A8-4500M), will A10-5750M work on mine too??

Also, how can i know my BIOS version?

eidolon171

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
A bit late to the party here, but hi kuchienkz. Your bios is an American Megatrends 451g UEFI version 3.1.2. It already has the necessary drivers to run an a10 5750m. Carefully disassemble your laptop, properly install the processor, carefully reassemble, and turn it on. Good luck with your upgrade!

Jun 1, 2019
What's the best CPU as of Jun 2019?
I know this has been a decade ago, but I have an HP pavilion G7 with an AMD- A8-4500M laying around and I would like to resurrect it as it's serviced me throughout the years very well, and proved to be extremely durable I never had an issue with the hardware (aside from the battery), so I would like to bump it up as a learning experience as well as not to have to deal with bad hardware laptops that I will have to purchase, I will upgrade it by adding 4Gbs or ram and an SSD and i have recently learnt that I can upgrade CPU in laptops Which is a big wooah to me, And I did read this thread to find out that A10-5750 is suitable with the laptop but I was wondering as of Jun 2019 what's the best compatible CPU with it?
Also This laptop is not my main device so I am flexible with the options.