Upgrading an old Dell Inspiron 570's stock cooler

Mansive

Reputable
May 31, 2015
I'm planning to upgrade the processor from an Athlon II x2 250 65w into a Phenom II x4 B95 95w. Would the stock cooler for the Athlon be enough for the Phenom?

Solution
The answer, in short; is no.
The Phenom draws too much power to be able to be cooled using something that wasnt meant to cool that much.
A good way to eyeball stock coolers and whether or not they work is to check on the wattage the CPU requires, which usually means more heat.

For example the Athlon only takes 65w so it can be cooled by something meant to cool a processor drawing 65w. The Phenom takes 95w which is much more than the same cooler can handle.

Luckily it doesnt take too beefy of a CPU cooler to cool a Phenom so they can be pretty cheap if you look in the right places. I suggest looking on Ebay and buying a cheap AM3 socket compatible CPU cooler from a reliable source.

Good luck, hope this helps.

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
The answer, in short; is no.
The Phenom draws too much power to be able to be cooled using something that wasnt meant to cool that much.
A good way to eyeball stock coolers and whether or not they work is to check on the wattage the CPU requires, which usually means more heat.

For example the Athlon only takes 65w so it can be cooled by something meant to cool a processor drawing 65w. The Phenom takes 95w which is much more than the same cooler can handle.

Luckily it doesnt take too beefy of a CPU cooler to cool a Phenom so they can be pretty cheap if you look in the right places. I suggest looking on Ebay and buying a cheap AM3 socket compatible CPU cooler from a reliable source.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS