[SOLVED] Upgrading an old desktop to a low/mid tier PC

Dec 13, 2018
So, the computer itself is 10 years old, I'm looking to upgrade the computer to a low/mid tier gaming pc

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 640 3.0ghz
Motherboard: FOXCONN - 2AB1
RAM: DDR3 1333mhz 8GB
PSU 250w

So this is going to be a budget upgrade of $150 - $200. This is a 10 year old computer so anything is better and like i said low/mid tier gaming computer.

Solution
that's a pretty low budget for what you're looking for in an upgrade, any other CPU's you can get to work with your motherboard would not be worth an upgrade especially for gaming and you haven't even told us what GPU you are using which will add to the cost too.

you are better off saving up more cash so you have the budget to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and ram.

for now though a cheap 500GB-1TB SSD would help speed up your PC
that's a pretty low budget for what you're looking for in an upgrade, any other CPU's you can get to work with your motherboard would not be worth an upgrade especially for gaming and you haven't even told us what GPU you are using which will add to the cost too.

you are better off saving up more cash so you have the budget to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and ram.

for now though a cheap 500GB-1TB SSD would help speed up your PC

Solution

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
You could put in a very very weak graphics card like a xx30 or xx50 family (i.e. 950, 1050, 1030 etc.). You will be limited by the PCIE...yours is 2.0, modern cards are 3.0. The modern cards will still "work" in that system, but you won't get the full benefit of the card.

Also the power supply is extremely limiting...with 250w you have few to no options for an add-in graphics card.

You may be better off searching for a used 5 or 6 year old computer...you can probably get the whole thing for not much more than $200 if you shop around craigslist ebay etc.

Dec 13, 2018

I already have a 10 year old computer.

Latest posts