[SOLVED] Upgrading an old desktop

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Good day folks, I hope you all are doing fine.

I have a desktop with such specifications for quite a while now (around 8 years for some of these parts):
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3V (rev. 1.0)
VGA: Sapphire HD 5770
RAM: 4GB DDR3 12800 + 4GB DDR3 10700 (I know, I know, don't kill me for this one)
SSD: Silicon Power Slim S57 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB
PSU: ThermalTake Smart SE 530W
Case: Powerlogic Armageddon AK3
Monitor: BenQ GL950

While it still works perfectly fine for what I do (office/code/casual games/multitask them altogether), I thought this might be time for an upgrade, preferably something that would let me play recent games and last me a few more years down the line. I'll stick to 1366 x 768 "gaming" for now as a constraint.

Should I stay on the same platform, keep the motherboard, upgrade the rest? Should I change platform?

Let me know what you think, any suggestions is much appreciated. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Hello thanks for your reply, unfortunately yes I believe I'm gonna go the "component by component" road, been trying to upgrade the whole system for quite a while and I figured upgrading one by one works better in my part.

With that being said, I think I'll go with the motherboard - CPU - RAM combo first and the rest follows. Now I have two options, please do check it out:
- Newer, AM4 Platform (APU)
- Older, LGA 1155 Platform, motherboard stays, PSU upgrade

I could get a used i7-3770 for $93-ish, so the price is more or less the same. Or should I just go for the cheaper Ryzen 5 2600 (or even the 1600)?
i edited your amd build a little bit so it will perform about 50% better than your suggestion...

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
i mean,if were you i would save up to 700$-800$ for the complete build.

Check this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LHYdcq

I mean if you are going to replace component by component i would suggest you to buy motherboard,cpu and ram,psu.then buy a gpu and everything else

Hello thanks for your reply, unfortunately yes I believe I'm gonna go the "component by component" road, been trying to upgrade the whole system for quite a while and I figured upgrading one by one works better in my part.

With that being said, I think I'll go with the motherboard - CPU - RAM combo first and the rest follows. Now I have two options, please do check it out:

I could get a used i7-3770 for $93-ish, so the price is more or less the same. Or should I just go for the cheaper Ryzen 5 2600 (or even the 1600)?

i edited your amd build a little bit so it will perform about 50% better than your suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kFyGsZ
I know its also about 50% more expensive,but trust me you wont have to touch anything for the next 4-5 years.I went with 3600MHz ram because ryzen likes fast ram,also there is 16gb instead of 8gb cuz 8gb ram is quickly gonna become the bare minimum you need to have to run some games and programs.The mobo i choose is like made for 3600.I personally would touch anything,but i would like to see what other people say about my recomendation.Dont go with intel trust me.Their products are so left behind,and for 200$ you get i7 3700 with 4 cores 4 threads.againts ryzen 3600 that has 6cores and 12 threads for 170$. 3600 is way better cuz games are gonna take advantage of that 6 cores and 12 threads and will run soo much better than i7 3700

Solution

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
i edited your amd build a little bit so it will perform about 50% better than your suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kFyGsZ
I know its also about 50% more expensive,but trust me you wont have to touch anything for the next 4-5 years.I went with 3600MHz ram because ryzen likes fast ram,also there is 16gb instead of 8gb cuz 8gb ram is quickly gonna become the bare minimum you need to have to run some games and programs.The mobo i choose is like made for 3600.I personally would touch anything,but i would like to see what other people say about my recomendation.Dont go with intel trust me.Their products are so left behind,and for 200$ you get i7 3700 with 4 cores 4 threads.againts ryzen 3600 that has 6cores and 12 threads for 170$. 3600 is way better cuz games are gonna take advantage of that 6 cores and 12 threads and will run soo much better than i7 3700

With the Ryzen 3 3100 coming out, I think I'll go for that, thanks.