Question Upgrading an old I5 2500k build

seloal

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Budget Range: open to any sugestions

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D modelling, gaming, 3D texturing and rendering

Parts to Upgrade: CPU air cooling, ram, ssd

Parts Preferences: Open to any sugestions, I have been taking a look to the well known Cooler Master Hyper 212 but it looks a bit outdated, Scythe Fuma 2 looks good but I'm not sure if it fits yet. Honestly I have no idea so any suggestions on those or other models are welcome.

Overclocking: Yes

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
My PC has been up and running for 9 years already but it's showing it's age. Until now I have been super lazy not overclocking my 2500k but now it's about time!

I'm looking for a decent air cooler to bring it up to 4,5.

I'm also looking for a ram upgrade because I'm a bit short while using Zbrush or working with 4k+ textures in 3D models.

Additionally some SSD recommendations could be helpful, I'm looking to have one just to install the OS.

My current build:
I5 2500K 3.3Ghz Box Socket 1155
gigabyte Z68X-UD4
Kingstone Hyperex (2x4GB)
GTX 960
2 TB blue hard drive
DVD RW DL 22X SATA BLACK OEM
FA GX 650W 80PLUS COOLER MASTER
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Atx

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Anything you drop on that system is a negative return on investment. I'd advise on keeping things minimal/simple. Hyper 212 would be a good choice, if you can find the Cryorig H7 cooler for cheaper, that'd be another option. Anything with LGA115x mounting will work for you.

Ram, well, DDR3-1600MHz is the highest you can go in terms of frequency(on stock) though you could look at DDR3-1866MHz and DDR3-2133MHz ram kits though they will cost you a pretty penny and getting them to overclock to those speeds will be tricky, given the board is old and could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Any 2.5" SSD will do you wonders over an HDD. Preferred site for purchase and budget?

seloal

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Anything you drop on that system is a negative return on investment. I'd advise on keeping things minimal/simple. Hyper 212 would be a good choice, if you can find the Cryorig H7 cooler for cheaper, that'd be another option. Anything with LGA115x mounting will work for you.

Ram, well, DDR3-1600MHz is the highest you can go in terms of frequency(on stock) though you could look at DDR3-1866MHz and DDR3-2133MHz ram kits though they will cost you a pretty penny and getting them to overclock to those speeds will be tricky, given the board is old and could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Any 2.5" SSD will do you wonders over an HDD. Preferred site for purchase and budget?

Thank you for your quick answer, this is my first time overclocking.
The ram upgrade is not crucial just nice to have if there are some decent not particularly expensive options, I was not considering overclocking the ram.
The speed is nice to have but I think the amount is more important to handle big textures on substance painter and other 3D software.

Excuse me if I sound a bit lost.