Build Advice Upgrading an old pc for gaming...

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
I have an Fujitsu esprimo p3510 model...and i want to know if i can upgrade its cpu, gpu and everything else that can make it a decent or low spec gaming pc (supporting games like LoL)...the only thing i know is that i can upgrade its ram to 4gb....its currently on 1gb ram...its a ddr2
Cpu:Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E2160(1.8GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz)
Gpu:Integrated Intel® GMA 3100
Memory:1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Chipset; iG31
Mainboard Number: D2750
Mainboard form factor: µBTX
Processor socket: LGA 775

4745454b

Titan
I would argue not really. It's super old and parts will be hard to find and have an unknown history. Worse, the parts you buy now won't work in any new rig you buy later so it's wasting money.

IF you can find the parts cheap enough i could see putting a Q6600 in there. You can't really do anything with 1gb so try to get 4. Finally add any cheap modern gpu. 750ti? 1030? Any lower end card. If you keep it small you won't have to upgrade the psu as well. You'll also need to make sure you have a pcie slot for the card to go into.

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
yeah i know i am building another pc with a bigger budget but i wanted to see what i could pull off on this one and get it playing atleast LoL...are the gpu's u recommended compatible with my pc? i mean i dont really know how to build im kinda new and i wanted to try on the lower budget one as my first build to get experience...isnt htere a problem that the mobo is ddr2? ofcourse i will upgrade to 4gb ram tho if i go on with the build...

4745454b

Titan
Finding ddr2 could be a problem. You might have to look hard.

The gpu might have issues with your board. As i said, make sure you have the slot needed. Getting an older card closer to the age of your board might help. I've seen conflicting reports about new cards and old boards. Amd cards seem to do this better. And a bios update can help if it didn't work. But you'll have to try it to find out.

Reactions: TmsGt7
It supports 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM. Don't get 1x4GB or anything slower than 800MHz, as this will mean the RAM will be the faster possible. Also, make sure the RAM is matched to avoid issues with the RAM timings.
The motherboard can use any LGA775 CPU up to the q9450, which is quad core at 2.66GHz.
As for the GPU, it supports anything that will run without an external power connector, unless you are going to upgrade the PSU to one with more power. The GT1030 GDDR5 version is the best choice here.
You could also get a SATA SSD too, which will make loading Windows and games a lot quicker.

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
Finding ddr2 could be a problem. You might have to look hard.

The gpu might have issues with your board. As i said, make sure you have the slot needed. Getting an older card closer to the age of your board might help. I've seen conflicting reports about new cards and old boards. Amd cards seem to do this better. And a bios update can help if it didn't work. But you'll have to try it to find out.
thanks i will consider the thing u said...and if i find anything cheap i will go on and upgrade :)

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
It supports 2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM. Don't get 1x4GB or anything slower than 800MHz, as this will mean the RAM will be the faster possible. Also, make sure the RAM is matched to avoid issues with the RAM timings.
The motherboard can use any LGA775 CPU up to the q9450, which is quad core at 2.66GHz.
As for the GPU, it supports anything that will run without an external power connector, unless you are going to upgrade the PSU to one with more power. The GT1030 GDDR5 version is the best choice here.
You could also get a SATA SSD too, which will make loading Windows and games a lot quicker.
yeah that was what i was planning on doing with the ram but thanks for confirming! the GT1030 is gona need an external power connector tho wont it? so i will have to upgrade the psu aswell? can u recommend a gpu without an external power connector to put in the pc?
yeah... i hadnt thought about the ssd aswell xD

yeah that was what i was planning on doing with the ram but thanks for confirming! the GT1030 is gona need an external power connector tho wont it? so i will have to upgrade the psu aswell? can u recommend a gpu without an external power connector to put in the pc?
yeah... i hadnt thought about the ssd aswell xD
Nope, the GT1030 only uses 30w of power, so gets all it needs from the PCI Express slot, no extra cables needed.

4745454b

Titan
1030s don't need extra power. I wouldn't worry about ddr speed. If 667 is cheaper than 800 get that. You want to do this WITHOUT locking your money up in an old system. It's a g31 board running cpus that are 10+ generations old. This isn't going to game will no matter what you do. Get it better, but don't sink hundreds of dollars into this when tens of dollars would have performed nearly as well.

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
1030s don't need extra power. I wouldn't worry about ddr speed. If 667 is cheaper than 800 get that. You want to do this WITHOUT locking your money up in an old system. It's a g31 board running cpus that are 10+ generations old. This isn't going to game will no matter what you do. Get it better, but don't sink hundreds of dollars into this when tens of dollars would have performed nearly as well.
yeah ofcourse! i was just trying to see what i could do with a pc like that and how far i could upgrade it...in the end of the day i dont plan spending all my money on it :p the most i can give is like 120 euros so i will see what i can do with that budget...plus i see it as a challenge to start bulding pc's and im not afraid of risking on the old one that i dont use... but thanks for the support guys u ahve really been helpful here! :D

TmsGt7

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016
It won't be a terrible system. Here in the UK, the total cost of a q9450,4GB DDR2 and a GT1030 GDDR5 is about £65, and with that, you will get about this performance in Metro Exodus:
View: https://youtu.be/3IROwr1Tbkg
well here in greece its a bit more pricey...i checked all the parts out
gigabytes gt1030 was the cheapest i could find it was about 65euros
q9450 i couldnt find it on greece :( but i found one on ebay about 16 euros
and the ssd and the ram that i found were around 50 euros both... not the same as in the uk but its still kind of a bargain i guess

4745454b

Titan
That was my thinking. 65 pounds? You are talking about spending over 100 euros on a system after upgrades will be worth that or less. Every market is different, but it generally doesn't make sense to do what you are talking about. Here in the usa you can get used core systems which game better than the c2d for less than $200. Before upgrading you might want to look around for core or fx8320 system. Might be a better idea.

TRENDING THREADS