Question Upgrading an older AMD Ryzen 1 setup.

b.gaj.bg

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Hello,

My current PC specs are as follows:
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 1600 3.4GHz
2x8GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 clocks 14-14-14-34
Aorus Radeon RX 580 8GB
250GB ADATA SSD for Windows 10
Seasonic 650W PSU 80+
couple of 2TB WD HDDs connected in RAID...

I wanted to do an inexpensive upgrade to improve loading times of Lost Ark which I must admit I got hooked on.

Bought extra 2x8GB RAM and M.2 SSD SN770. Unfortunately couldn't stabilise extra RAM, but really liked the loading time improvement, until crash fiesta began... Anyway, I figured I could spare some money on getting new mobo and CPU. Don't want to spend on graphics yet, as my gaming consists of less graphic intensive titles atm and still playing in 1080p.

So I figured I would like a B550 and 5600x along with 32Gigs of RAM. Moderate gaming plus some Adobe suite and maybe blender usage mainly. I would like to ask couple of questions about upgrading please.

The PSU should be sufficient for swapping from Ryzen 1 and new mobo, right?

Prices of mATX (my format) B550s doesn't seem too great here in uk atm. If I would like to do a little bit of OC, Gigabyte AMD B550M AORUS ELITE seems fairly inexpensive, just above £100. But what bothers me is that this board have PCI slot that I would like to use for my soundcard just under graphic card slot, which I fear might block the air flow from GPU. Also I'm running 4 Fans atm and seems like not every board supports that many, right?
Any suggestions on mATX format mainboard? I don't think there's anything inexpensive in x570 department.

Now If I understand this correctly, optimal speed of RAM for Ryzen 5600X would be 3600MHz, right? If I would OC a CPU a little bit would memory clock also have to go up?
Any recommendation for 32 Gigs of RAM with bang for the buck ratio? I don't need RBG/LED. Understand I would need kit of 2x16 as 4x8 might be tricky.

I know theres AM5 architecture coming out soon, but I don't think the are going to be affordable for me atm, so would rather go for 5600X and be done for next two years.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Which exact PSU do you have? Not all are made equal, even by Seasonic.

Prices of mATX (my format) B550s doesn't seem too great here in uk atm. If I would like to do a little bit of OC, Gigabyte AMD B550M AORUS ELITE seems fairly inexpensive, just above £100

If you plan to OC the CPU, this particular board doesn't have a robust vrm set up with just a 5 +3 phase.

Now If I understand this correctly, optimal speed of RAM for Ryzen 5600X would be 3600MHz, right?

Yes, this is correct. Look for CL16 or lower versions if available, and priced reasonably. Settling on CL18 is fine too if there is a big price difference.

Something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£112.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £112.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-29 12:44 BST+0100

Hello,

My current PC specs are as follows:
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 1600 3.4GHz
2x8GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 clocks 14-14-14-34
Aorus Radeon RX 580 8GB
250GB ADATA SSD for Windows 10
Seasonic 650W PSU 80+
couple of 2TB WD HDDs connected in RAID...

I wanted to do an inexpensive upgrade to improve loading times of Lost Ark which I must admit I got hooked on.

Bought extra 2x8GB RAM and M.2 SSD SN770. Unfortunately couldn't stabilise extra RAM, but really liked the loading time improvement, until crash fiesta began... Anyway, I figured I could spare some money on getting new mobo and CPU. Don't want to spend on graphics yet, as my gaming consists of less graphic intensive titles atm and still playing in 1080p.

So I figured I would like a B550 and 5600x along with 32Gigs of RAM. Moderate gaming plus some Adobe suite and maybe blender usage mainly. I would like to ask couple of questions about upgrading please.

Prices of mATX (my format) B550s doesn't seem too great here in uk atm. If I would like to do a little bit of OC, Gigabyte AMD B550M AORUS ELITE seems fairly inexpensive, just above £100. But what bothers me is that this board have PCI slot that I would like to use for my soundcard just under graphic card slot, which I fear might block the air flow from GPU. Also I'm running 4 Fans atm and seems like not every board supports that many, right?
Any suggestions on mATX format mainboard? I don't think there's anything inexpensive in x570 department.

Now If I understand this correctly, optimal speed of RAM for Ryzen 5600X would be 3600MHz, right? If I would OC a CPU a little bit would memory clock also have to go up?
Any recommendation for 32 Gigs of RAM with bang for the buck ratio? I don't need RBG/LED. Understand I would need kit of 2x16 as 4x8 might be tricky.

I know theres AM5 architecture coming out soon, but I don't think the are going to be affordable for me atm, so would rather go for 5600X and be done for next two years.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
actually, if you dont really need a new mobo, you could just update the bios to the latest for that board, plug 5600x, and it's on. that board latest bios still capable or 5600x

You dont need to use a B550 if you dont need that pcie 4.0, saving much costs, but if you demand a cheap upgrade a B450 should be okay. A Used decent B450 board should be capable of getting 4x8 at 3600MT/s (my friend using 5600G could do 4000mhz just using the latest bios, 4x8gb of the same kit).

You dont need to go 3600mhz for 5600x if you want to spare some budget on motherboard. But if it's priced decent why not? Just to note that 5000 CPUS except Ryzen 5 5500 usually cant do more than 3866~3933 at 1:1.

Asrock B550M Pro4 is a decent priced board in my country, not overkill but gets the jobs done, got that 5x pwm/dc fan header (all 4 pins, dw), got that pcie x4 slot just underneath the first x4 slot, 2 m.2 nvme port, 1 pcie wifi slot, 4 dimms. Pretty much that board is almost the same as B450M Steel Legend but using B550 Chipset.

actually, if you dont really need a new mobo, you could just update the bios to the latest for that board, plug 5600x, and it's on. that board latest bios still capable or 5600x

OP's current board, whilst it may take the 5600x, it's vrm's are pretty weak (4+2 phaes), not ideal for any OC'ing TBH.

You dont need to go 3600mhz for 5600x if you want to spare some budget on motherboard. But if it's priced decent why not? Just to note that 5000 CPUS except Ryzen 5 5500 usually cant do more than 3866~3933 at 1:1.

Yes, most 5xxx series can do higher 1:1, but not always, and is really based on the IMC of each individual chip. 3600mhz/1800 fabric is mostly achievable with all 5xxx, considered the sweetspot.

Asrock B550M Pro4 is a decent priced board in my country, not overkill but gets the jobs done,

The OP would just be replacing one board with weak VRM's with another one with slightly better VRM's . This board is 6+2 phases. Something more robust will give better OC on the CPU, and prevent throttling. I wouldn't want my boost numbers to drop off because of weak VRM's.

Reactions: Koekieezz

b.gaj.bg

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Which exact PSU do you have? Not all are made equal, even by Seasonic.
Seasonic Focus Plus 650W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold PSU
This one I think: https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold

If you plan to OC the CPU, this particular board doesn't have a robust vrm set up with just a 5 +3 phase.
Okay, I don't really want to do any serious OC, just couple of hundred for the sake of doing it, and this one was often recommended as budget option.
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro-P seems much better and 20 pounds more expensive, the question still stays: won't it seriously impact the cooling of my GPU if I fit my soundcard just underneath the fans.

And tbh I'd rather go for something else than MSI this time. :D Don't know...
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£112.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £112.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-29 12:44 BST+0100
Looks interesting for the price.

The only trouble is thats an ATX and I got mATX case. ;)
Mortar looks alright though, more pricey side maybe, Bazooka has too weak VRM I suppose?

OP's current board, whilst it may take the 5600x, it's vrm's are pretty weak (4+2 phaes), not ideal for any OC'ing TBH.
Didn't stop me from pushing my Ryzen 1 by 400 MHz. :p

Yes, most 5xxx series can do higher 1:1, but not always, and is really based on the IMC of each individual chip. 3600mhz/1800 fabric is mostly achievable with all 5xxx, considered the sweetspot.
I understand fabric stays the same if you OC the CPU? That was my original question, why bother to OC RAM if so called sweetspot is 3600?

b.gaj.bg

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018

You dont need to use a B550 if you dont need that pcie 4.0, saving much costs, but if you demand a cheap upgrade a B450 should be okay. A Used decent B450 board should be capable of getting 4x8 at 3600MT/s (my friend using 5600G could do 4000mhz just using the latest bios, 4x8gb of the same kit).

Asrock B550M Pro4 is a decent priced board in my country, not overkill but gets the jobs done, got that 5x pwm/dc fan header (all 4 pins, dw), got that pcie x4 slot just underneath the first x4 slot, 2 m.2 nvme port, 1 pcie wifi slot, 4 dimms. Pretty much that board is almost the same as B450M Steel Legend but using B550 Chipset.
Was thinking about that to be fair, B450 or just new CPU in my B350, but then I figured I could use Gen4 for my SSD and GPU in the future hopefully. Marginal returns maybe but what the hell...

Reactions: Koekieezz

b.gaj.bg

Reputable
Jan 9, 2018
Just quick question if I may....

I'm leaning towards MSI Mortar with WIFI, but cant find those Corsair memories on MSI website compatibility list. Not in 3600MHz version, only 3200.

I suppose not worth taking the risk or it just doesnt show 3600?

Last edited:
Just quick question if I may....

I'm leaning towards MSI Mortar with WIFI, but cant find those Corsair memories on MSI website compatibility list. Not in 3600MHz version, only 3200.

I suppose not worth taking the risk or it just doesnt show 3600?
The compability list were made only for the one that's guranteed to run fluently at the xmp rated speed. My i3 10105F on a MSi B560M Pro could 3600mhz xmp no problems, i even oc ed to 4133 C18 with tight subtimings, and it passed some stability test i've done.

3600mhz ram were always guranteed to run since Ryzen 3000 CPUs (not apus) and forward. If you're aiming for the best ram overclocker go with Ryzen 5500 or 5600G, due to monolithic arch on a Zen3 arch. 5000 cpus usually caps at 3866 or 3933, some 4000 but that's usually golden chip, this usually due to the i/o chip which is the same as Zen2 cpu i/o chip.