DevuSin

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hi All,
I was wondering if I should upgrade my RAM. I have only one 8gig of DDR4 ram and wanted to buy another 8gig ram, so which one should I go for like same manufacture or can I buy crucial, adata or something else since SKH is not available in my area? Also wanted to know if overclocking the RAM is a good idea with any benefits. I haven't overclocked my CPU and use my Laptop only for gaming and watching movies. (no rendering, PS or any other high end stuff only gaming). Thanks in advance

P.S. no matter what I do, I cant attach a url of the screenshots as its showing 'something went wrong, contact admin' so manually typing my system details-
Installed Ram-DDR4 SK Hynix 1200Mhz, CPU- i5 7300HQ @2.5Ghz 4 cores (Dell inspiron 7567 gaming 2016)

Last edited:
Laptops generally are not suitable for overclocking (unless it's some gaming model with beefy a cooling system).

When upgrading ram, it's best to get ram kit.
Next best thing would be getting identical module to your existing one. But mixing separately bought ram modules can lead into ram compatibility problems.

DevuSin

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Laptops generally are not suitable for overclocking (unless it's some gaming model with beefy a cooling system).

When upgrading ram, it's best to get ram kit.
Next best thing would be getting identical module to your existing one. But mixing separately bought ram modules can lead into ram compatibility problems.
My laptop is quite beefy and is quite good in cooling as well thats why I wanted to check whether overclocking the ram would be a good idea coz I think Ram doesn't generate that much heat.
Cant use kit now. Cant get same ram as well, like I said SKHynix rams are no longer available here in my area thats why I wanted to go for other options.

DevuSin

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
to see which exact model you have, you can use CPU-Z

you can get the same model or get an exact match of timings and clock rates module of a different brand/model. But like said, it´s not guaranteed to be working without issues
I was using CPU-Z and wanted to attach the screenshots but couldn't. The problem is the ram installed is from SKHynix which is no longer available in my area thats why this post and wouldn't want to throw that one out if other option is available.