Upgrading Asus ROG G20AJ-B07

Aug 21, 2018
I have an ASUS ROG G20AJ-B07 (specs here: https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-g20aj-b07-sff-core-i5-4460-3-2-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/)
I am hoping to upgrade it so I can run Battlefront 2, and other games that may come out in the next year or two. I have never upgraded or built a PC before. Any tips/advice on where a noob like me should start? I am not sure what I need. Upgrading ram and the graphics card seem to be the most necessary upgrades, but I really don’t know for sure.

Solution
Hm... odd. The ASUS forum response was essentially saying it can't be upgraded. But if there are videos of possible upgrades, then it may be an option to see what information you can gain from them.

I would suggest looking at the CPU and GPU upgrades for practicality. Some prebuilts have limited upgrade options due to a locked BIOS, so knowing confirmed successful upgrades would provide you with a list of possible components you could upgrade to. This is so you won't spend money only to find out the upgrade won't work.

The main issue, as far as gaming performance goes, is finding a graphics card which is an improvement on the one already installed, has a size equal or smaller than it, and draws the same power or less. Quite tricky...
Looking at the link there I imagine that upgrading it will be incredibly difficult if even possible.
The installed RAM itself suggests it's a desktop CPU running on a laptop motherboard.
The physical size of the casing would also heavily restrict the size of the graphics card.

See also:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3434157/asus-rog-g20aj-gpu-upgrade.html
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53043-G20aj-swap-gpu-mem
Not sure if the exact same model.

Aug 21, 2018

I appreciate your response!
I agree it would be difficult. I am pretty sure it is possible though because I have seen a bunch of videos on YouTube of people upgrading their models, despite the small case.
The rog link is for the same one, I can’t open the second link though.

Hm... odd. The ASUS forum response was essentially saying it can't be upgraded. But if there are videos of possible upgrades, then it may be an option to see what information you can gain from them.

I would suggest looking at the CPU and GPU upgrades for practicality. Some prebuilts have limited upgrade options due to a locked BIOS, so knowing confirmed successful upgrades would provide you with a list of possible components you could upgrade to. This is so you won't spend money only to find out the upgrade won't work.

The main issue, as far as gaming performance goes, is finding a graphics card which is an improvement on the one already installed, has a size equal or smaller than it, and draws the same power or less. Quite tricky.

The GTX 750 was a very power efficient card. The closest in terms of power draw is the GTX 1050 (ti) I believe, as I don't think it requires power connectors. Anything more powerful will likely be more than the power supply can handle (at least this is what I am assuming). I would suspect most graphics upgrades would be to this but worth corroborating with the videos you've come across. Something to keep in mind at least.

Solution