[SOLVED] Upgrading build for stable 60 FPS 1080p gaming on upcoming games

Oct 22, 2020
Hello everyone,
First post here, and kind of a noob, so please indulge me for my probable poor choices of terms!
Starting to struggle meeting the recommended specs in some actual AAA titles, so I'd like to upgrade and future proof my rig , not necessarily for crossing the 4K 120FPS threshold; rather to stay comfy in the 1080p area with a stable 60FPS. I understand some of the most gpu heavy upcoming games will have raytracing options on a regular basis, and I'm curious of this tech, so maybe an upgrade to RTX would be welcome? You'll find a list of my components below. Some of these may be obsolete, some aren't; so please let me know which one I need to replace in priority. Thanks a lot people :)

CPU: i5-6600 3.30Ghz (4cores 4 threads)
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6 gb
memory: 16 GB DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte H170M-HD3 DDR3-CF
PSU: Antec HCG- 520W

Solution
The trouble with the i7’s of that generation is they are not a significant upgrade, usually way overpriced for the level of performance and by modern standards are still entry level. As you have DDR3 any modern platform will also need a RAM upgrade. Realistically you are looking at close to a new build cpu/motherboard/RAM/GPU.

A gpu upgrade might help in the short term but there are already games that play poorly on quad core/thread CPU’s and you will likely find yourself want that cpu upgrade.
Jan 11, 2020
Hi.

Upgrading to an RTX 2060 super or even the non super edition will do for max. settings on 1080p with 60 fps. Not sure about Ray Tracing however.

But if you upgrade you'll almost defenitely need to upgrade the CPU as the rtx 2060 and the i5 6600 will have a big bottleneck.

I am not sure which CPU but an i7 (not sure about the exact series) will do.

The trouble with the i7’s of that generation is they are not a significant upgrade, usually way overpriced for the level of performance and by modern standards are still entry level. As you have DDR3 any modern platform will also need a RAM upgrade. Realistically you are looking at close to a new build cpu/motherboard/RAM/GPU.

A gpu upgrade might help in the short term but there are already games that play poorly on quad core/thread CPU’s and you will likely find yourself want that cpu upgrade.

Solution

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I agree with most of the opinions given already, but especially the i5-6600 given it has no hyperthreading I don't see how that is not a bottleneck in that current rig. Do you ever get near 100% utilization on your cpu playing games on it now? Just curious. The 1060 is a mid range card for low settings namely, and as mentioned with the socket limitations of the motherboard you have now its probably looking at almost an entirely new build.

I still use a 1060 and works fine for me, but I don't play games on 4k, or high settings in general. Low settings and competitive 1060 still works fine with a cpu that has low utilization, in your case future proofing 1060 is not really a future proof card, although I do think it could hold 60fps in most games easily its not a card that can do ray tracing at a playable fps even with the nvidia driver update last year.