Build Advice Upgrading/Building a PC for 2024, should I do it ?

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for reading.

My current RIG:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 AORUS SUPER)
CPU: (Ryzen 3700X)
PSU: (Corsair RM750X)
MB: (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon)
SSD: (ADATA XPG SX8200)
RAM: (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz 2x16GB)
Monitor: (Asus PG278QR)

Games I'm building PC for:
Future GTA 6
Future ARK II
ARK Survival Ascended
ARK Survival Evolved
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
And probably trying out Cyberpunk 2077

What I mostly want to play right now is ARK Survival Ascended where my desired framerate is what RTX 4090 provides, but price range for that is way too crazy.

So my goal is to buy a system that would be strong for RTX 4090 or any stronger cards that may come in future while I just buy RTX 4070 Ti for now.
Now do I either wait a bit until 4070 Ti Super cards come out, or do I buy 4070 Ti now and wait for 4090 prices to drop and sell and swap it later or even wait for 5k cards in future.

Basically.... I want future proof system where I can swap GPU's around as I want and dont need to worry about anything else (such us motherboard not supporting a GPU anymore as with my current MB I went with B450 knowing I'm not upgrading GPU anymore until it's time to buy completly new PC)

Which is now! Should I do it? In most games I'm still fine with current rig but I want to enjoy some ARK without low FPS... strugling on 20-30 most of the time while sometimes it drops to 12-15 even, it's just starting to bring me less joy.

As for monitor I'm sticking to 2k gaming for now but I'd always be open to go 4k in future as well when I upgrade to far stronger card.
-------------------------------------

If any questions please ask me, any kind of support or suggestions are greatly appretiated!
Best Regards.

My current RIG:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 AORUS SUPER)

Future GTA 6
Future ARK II
ARK Survival Ascended
ARK Survival Evolved

What I mostly want to play right now is ARK Survival Ascended where my desired framerate is what RTX 4090 provides, but price range for that is way too crazy.

So my goal is to buy a system that would be strong for RTX 4090 or any stronger cards that may come in future while I just buy RTX 4070 Ti for now.
Now do I either wait a bit until 4070 Ti Super cards come out, or do I buy 4070 Ti now and wait for 4090 prices to drop and sell and swap it later or even wait for 5k cards in future.

Basically.... I want future proof system where I can swap GPU's around as I want and dont need to worry about anything else (such us motherboard not supporting a GPU anymore as with my current MB I went with B450 knowing I'm not upgrading GPU anymore until it's time to buy completly new PC)

Which is now! Should I do it? In most games I'm still fine with current rig but I want to enjoy some ARK without low FPS... strugling on 20-30 most of the time while sometimes it drops to 12-15 even, it's just starting to bring me less joy.

As for monitor I'm sticking to 2k gaming for now but I'd always be open to go 4k in future as well when I upgrade to far stronger card.

If any questions please ask me, any kind of support or suggestions are greatly appretiated!
Best Regards.
You got a very decent spec. on current PC. Hold on to it for another Year. Go for RTX5090 when it hits the market by end of 2024. Add to the budget till then and get Top of the line build.

Reactions: artk2219
Honestly your system is aready very good, but if you update the bios on your motherboard you could upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, which is still one of the best gaming CPUs around. It's definitely enough for an RTX 4090 or RX 7900 XTX, I've included a review for the 14900K since it includes it and several other CPUs for comparison. As for the GPU, what is your budget? Your power supply is still decent enough for anything short of an RTX 4090.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900k/19.html

Last edited:
Reactions: King Dranzer

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Honestly your system is aready very good, but if you update the bios on your motherboard you could upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, which is still one of the best gaming CPUs around. It's definitely enough for an RTX 4090 or RX 7900 XTX, I've included a review for the 14900K since it includes it and several other CPUs for comparison. As for the GPU, what is your budget? Your power supply is still decent enough for anything short of an RTX 4090.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-14900k/19.html
I got about 5k, but that'd also mean I'm broke after. I'm willing to spend only if it's worth it. It's christmas also might get support from family on budget.

I see many suggested me to wait, I would agree too but I was seriouslly hoping to not need another YEAR to struggle with low FPS on ARK. So if I get good motherboard that can run RTX 5 series in future I can just buy 4070 Ti for now to enjoy gaming and waiting this year until 5k cards that i can just replace later.

...but I want to enjoy some ARK without low FPS... strugling on 20-30 most of the time while sometimes it drops to 12-15 even, it's just starting to bring me less joy.
So the time to buy is now. Or the sales just after Christmas maybe.

Honestly, there's always something else around the corner. I upgraded my system this time last year. If I'd waited a year I'd have been able to get my current GPU for ~£100 less, or a GPU 15% faster for the same price, and a newer gen CPU, and blah blah blah for some extra FPS, while spending a year struggling to run the latest.

But what I have had instead is a year of playing some excellent games with the eye-candy all the way up and not a stutter in sight. Including SotTR, one of the games you've listed.

Seriously, why put yourself through months or more of 12 - 30 fps of a game you like and missing out on plenty of others just because you might not get triple-digit FPS as high as otherwise?

Reactions: artk2219 and Flayed
the 4070Ti super should be a good middle ground. AMD FSR3 source code is out in the open. You should see FSR3 mods for your fav games popping up soon enough. So i guess the 4070ti Super should be enough for a 2k 165hz panel.

A CPU upgrade to 5800X3D if you feel the frames are not high enough.

your other components are solid choices. I dont see any need to upgrade them.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
So the time to buy is now. Or the sales just after Christmas maybe.

Honestly, there's always something else around the corner. I upgraded my system this time last year. If I'd waited a year I'd have been able to get my current GPU for ~£100 less, or a GPU 15% faster for the same price, and a newer gen CPU, and blah blah blah for some extra FPS, while spending a year struggling to run the latest.

But what I have had instead is a year of playing some excellent games with the eye-candy all the way up and not a stutter in sight. Including SotTR, one of the games you've listed.

Seriously, why put yourself through months or more of 12 - 30 fps of a game you like and missing out on plenty of others just because you might not get triple-digit FPS as high as otherwise?
Exactly my point yes :p
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Why do you need a good motherboard to run an RTX 5xxx card?
Well correct me if i'm wrong, i think B450 i have currently doesn't even support 3k cards not to mention 4k ones, so if i buy anything i figured I'd have to buy completely new PC and probably just sell current one. So if i'm picking a new mb i'd pick one that will suport a few generations of cards. My current PC is 4 years old, my goal was actually for it to last 5+ but some games are getting way too demanding already for my tastes of smooth play.
the 4070Ti super should be a good middle ground. AMD FSR3 source code is out in the open. You should see FSR3 mods for your fav games popping up soon enough. So i guess the 4070ti Super should be enough for a 2k 165hz panel.

A CPU upgrade to 5800X3D if you feel the frames are not high enough.

your other components are solid choices. I dont see any need to upgrade them.
yes a 5800X3D was in my consideration, even tho i had my eyes on 7800X3D at first but all those info and videos about them burning in their motherboards made me worry

Last edited:
Well correct me if i'm wrong, i think B450 i have currently doesn't even support 3k cards not to mention 4k ones, so if i buy anything i figured I'd have to buy completely new PC and probably just sell current one.
It'll support a 4070 Ti, as in the card will work. There is the slight caveat that the 4070 Ti is a PCIe 4.0 x16 card and your motherboard is only PCIe 3.0 x16. But that just means the card will run in 3.0 x16, and from what benchmarks I can find for the likes of Cyberpunk at high resolutions it makes as good as zero difference.

You'll probably be okay even keeping the same processor, but you still have upgrade options there. No need to go for an entirely new system.

I think that with your rig, where after 4 years you can easily update the GPU and (if you choose) the CPU and get a highly respectable PC as a result, selling it to build something completely new defeats the object of trying to make these things "future proof".

Well correct me if i'm wrong, i think B450 i have currently doesn't even support 3k cards not to mention 4k ones, so if i buy anything i figured I'd have to buy completely new PC and probably just sell current one. So if i'm picking a new mb i'd pick one that will suport a few generations of cards. My current PC is 4 years old, my goal was actually for it to last 5+ but some games are getting way too demanding already for my tastes of smooth play.

yes a 5800X3D was in my consideration, even tho i had my eyes on 7800X3D at first but all those info and videos about them burning in their motherboards made me worry
B450 only supports PCIE 3.0 and not 4.0 but there is not card out there with which you would really notice a difference. It's a 2% max drop off with PCIE 3 vs 4, that's within margin of error on most things honestly. A cpu bottleneck would be a much more noticeable thing, and you wont even really have that with a 5800X3D, your base is fine for the next few years. If you really did want to upgrade something I would say it would be the graphics card, but even then youre fine for now. If you do want to upgrade your GPU I would suggest something like an RX 7900 XT or XTX, the vast majority of the performance of a 4090, for much less. The XTX has roughly 85% of the performance of a 4090 without ray tracing for 50 - 60% of the price. The 7900 XT is roughly 5% faster than the 4070 ti without ray tracing and has 8GB more VRAM for the same price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/5

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-review-a-costly-70-class-gpu/5

Last edited:
Reactions: palladin9479
The 5800x3d and the 7900xtx would probably be a nice update for you. When I’ve looked about pci e 3 vs 4 on most cards not a lot of difference. Sure you would be limited to pci e 3 for your nvme slots still, but pci e 3 slots, I think you can still use the newer drives if you wanted to carry them over later. But pci e 3 for nvme storage is still quick. A lot faster than sata anyway.

I got about 5k, but that'd also mean I'm broke after. I'm willing to spend only if it's worth it. It's christmas also might get support from family on budget.

I see many suggested me to wait, I would agree too but I was seriouslly hoping to not need another YEAR to struggle with low FPS on ARK. So if I get good motherboard that can run RTX 5 series in future I can just buy 4070 Ti for now to enjoy gaming and waiting this year until 5k cards that i can just replace later.

The thing is this generation of GPU is one of the worst to invest money into, like point blank the worst. nVidia's offerings all have terrible value and basically try to shovel you to their halo product the 4090, which is obscenely overpriced. AMD is mixed but getting better. If you can hold off another year or so on your current GPU, then the value propositions of the next generation should be better.

My usual recommendation is for people to buy the xx70 or xx80 nVidia card or the AMD equivalent, which you seem to follow. nVidia deliberately sabotaged those models in the 40 series, so stay away. Buying a new CPU might be a good idea if that is what your limiting factor is. Use GPU-Z to figure out if your FPS limitation is due to the CPU (GPU will be idling) or the GPU (GPU will hit thermal / power limit).

If you don’t want to spend too much on a card, I would say the poster above is correct about this generation of cards just not being great. But for 1440p or a monster 1080p gpu, you might consider the rx 6800xt. I’ve got an asrock phantom gaming version that I got through Newegg a couple weeks ago for $439 on sale. In fact they’ve got it on sale again for $449.

On say a 6800xt you wouldn’t get as good of ray tracing as a 7800xt or 4070 but for raw performance it’s right there with those cards. They’ve got the 6800 non xt cards some right at 400. Really this generation value for money is the last generation cards if you can find them, on a good sale especially.

See if you are planning to get RTX4070Ti build. I highly recommend sticking to AM5 platform and not going down to AM4. Because if you get AM5 platform then you can simply throw in a New CPU when released and be done for. If you go down AM4 path then you be needing to upgrade the Whole PC again. Absolute waste of Money

Nah don't worry about them burning in Motherboards. Not gonna happen. It got fixed long time ago. As @Lucky_SLS said above it got fixed through BIOS updates. Nothing to worry about now.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($472.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-6400 CL36 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($889.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1500i (2023) 1500 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2702.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-21 14:33 EST-0500

This is what I would recommend if you plan to purchase now. All high quality components.

AM5 path is what will actually save you money over time. As then you only need to upgrade the CPU + GPU while using all other components as is.

I also went with 1500W PSU to get you enough headroom for RTX5000 series. And as other 1200W alternates(high quality ones) are in same ball park when it comes to price. And It is Corsair. The best.

That GPU is a Place Holder for RTX4070Ti Super when it releases.

That case is big enough to fit all the listed components and is designed to make working in it very easy.

I went with higher speed 48GB RAM over lower speed 64GB RAM. You can add second kit over time to increase it to 96GB. But seriously do you need that much of RAM. You can decide.

You can cut down on GPU to RTX4070 Super when it releases. As it is expected to perform on close to RTX4070Ti levels and cost as RTX4070. So double benefit. Unless RTX4070Ti Super is actually a lot better than RTX4070Ti go for RTX4070 Super instead.

Reactions: KrEnX47
@KrEnX47 If you don't wanna spend that now and wanna go for it when RTX5090 releases.

Just purchase RTX4070Ti Super for now. And that is it. You won't be needing the CPU either for the games you plan to play at 1440p. No big difference. As 3700X is already fast enough CPU. No need of 5800X3D. That be waste of money. No need of PSU either. That RX750M can easily handle RTX4070Ti Super.

Reactions: KrEnX47

My current RIG:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 AORUS SUPER)

Future GTA 6
Future ARK II
ARK Survival Ascended
ARK Survival Evolved

Best Regards.
Here's two cpu's I would look at. Either one would be a significant upgrade from your current cpu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JmhFf7/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000926wof
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X $176.61
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZ3gXL/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000651wof
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D $319.99

Look for the reviews of these cards in a few weeks from now. In particular the RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB and RTX 4080 Super 20GB.
https://www.techpowerup.com/316842/...er-review-schedule-and-availability-confirmed

Reactions: King Dranzer