upgrading Celeron M TO Pentium M

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have a gateway laptop with 910GML chipset, shouldnt I be able to upgrade a to apentium M chip?

There isn't a large performance difference between the 2, only switch if there's greater than 500MHz difference, otherwise it's a waste.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

endyen

Splendid
You should be able to, but what would be the point. As MMM said, you would need a lot more speed for it to be worthwhile. I think even 500mhz wouldn't be worth it. There are just too many bottleknecks in a laptop.
The following chipset only support Celeron M and ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) Core Dual/Solo :

910GML Express Chipset
Since Core Duo/Solo is the new Pentium M, I guess you could.

You should be able to, but what would be the point. As MMM said, you would need a lot more speed for it to be worthwhile. I think even 500mhz wouldn't be worth it. There are just too many bottleknecks in a laptop.
The following chipset only support Celeron M and ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) Core Dual/Solo :

910GML Express Chipset
Since Core Duo/Solo is the new Pentium M, I guess you could.

Not according to Intel's chart (for which I provided a link). Intel specifically makes the distinction between Celeron M, Core Dual/Solo (ULV too), and Pentium M.

Link:
Mobile Chipsets

Sykotic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I understand, what would be the use if I couldnt get a 500mhz inc. I saw several articles on overclocking the fsb to 133, almost a 500mhz inc. Even better if I started with a 1.5 Pentium M with 2M l2

Sykotic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks for the replies, I know I cant run a 533 sonoma class PM, but intel did make some 400 mhz dothan P M with 2m L2. But none would be a significant upgrade. Was looking at this O'C

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1232/

This would give me a 2.0 Celeron M which everyone says should out perform a 2.8 p4

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
ya, I think you're pretty much stuck to Dothans and Banias. No one mentioned that the Pentium M would be a great upgrade to battery life, even if you only buy a 400 MHz bus Dothan at 1.5 or 1.6 GHz. If performance is your main concern, why not overclock a Dothan Celeron M to the 533 bus? A 1.4 Ghz Celeron M will run at 1.866 GHz, which is a pretty healthy increase really (roughly equivalent to a 2.4 C). There's nothing really stopping you from using a 533 bus Dothan Pentium M. Either it will work or it won't. If it doesn't work, resell it on Ebay.

TRENDING THREADS