Upgrading Compaq Presario CQ5300Y

theimplaction

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
So I'm trying to upgrade my CQ5300Y so I can watch anime at 1080p without it lagging or artifacting but don't know what exactly I'm suppose to upgrade?

Specs:
Compaq Presario CQ5300Y
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Sempron LE-1300
2GB System Memory
320 GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Solution
It looks like that's an AM2+ motherboard, so you can use AM2+ CPUs. It also has a pci-ex x16 slot for a videocard. That Sempron is a slow single core CPU, and you only have 2gb system ram. It has a 250W power supply.

So then what I would do is first add a low cost videocard which can accelerate your HD video playback. It needs to be a low power demanding card. I'm thinking something like a GT 710. This is for video playback ONLY, don't expect to game with a 710. Also, be sure that the program you use to playback video allows hardware acceleration and that the hardware acceleration is enabled in the settings.

edit: this step comes after adding the card- You can monitor CPU, via Task Manager/Performance, while playing back a video. If...
It looks like that's an AM2+ motherboard, so you can use AM2+ CPUs. It also has a pci-ex x16 slot for a videocard. That Sempron is a slow single core CPU, and you only have 2gb system ram. It has a 250W power supply.

So then what I would do is first add a low cost videocard which can accelerate your HD video playback. It needs to be a low power demanding card. I'm thinking something like a GT 710. This is for video playback ONLY, don't expect to game with a 710. Also, be sure that the program you use to playback video allows hardware acceleration and that the hardware acceleration is enabled in the settings.

edit: this step comes after adding the card- You can monitor CPU, via Task Manager/Performance, while playing back a video. If video playback is laggy, and CPU usage is 100% or close to it, then you need to move up to a dual core or better. You probably won't have to add ram, but 4gb instead of 2gb would smooth out a lot of your computer's sluggishness.

Solution

theimplaction

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
So all I would have to do is buy and install an GT 710 and I should be good?Also I had order a 2gb ram yesterday thinking it would help a bit so 4gb should slightly improve things too right?

You can use an AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+) (up to 95 watt TDP).

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate.

Phenom X4 9650
https://www.ebay.com/p/AMD-Phenom-X4-9650-2-3GHz-Quad-Core-HD9650WCJ4BGH-Processor/74100558?iid=132761404526

Memory Upgrade Kit for the Compaq HP Presario CQ5300y (Genuine A-Tech Brand)
https://www.amazon.com/DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Presario-CQ5300y-Tech/dp/B00B12VA4Q

I do not recommend adding extra memory to what is already there.