Upgrading - Compatibility - R9 280x & Q9550

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hello guys.

First, let me apologize if this thread is in a wrong section of the forum.
I have a few questions for you.

This are components in my computer:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q PRO
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
PSU: LCPower 8650 Ozeanos v2.2 650W
RAM: Mushkin 5-5-5-18 Enhanced Kit 4gb
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4890
HDD: WD Caviar green 1TB
Case: NZXT Beta

I bought those components few years back, in 2009, so I decided it's time for upgrade.
What I need the most, is new graphic card...I was thinking about buying Sapphire Radeon R9 280x TOXIC, but Im concerned my LCPower wont be able to handle such upgrade. Ofc, I will upgrade my PSU, motherboard, RAM, and CPU aswell, but at the moment I just dont have enough budget for everything.

My point is, I can buy 2 components at the time...because of my limited budget at the moment, and I was thinking about upgrading my graphics first, and maybe buy a better PSU. I know my current PSU probably provides enough power, but from what I've heard, I just dont think that LCPower is "stable" enough for such graphic card. So, should I upgrade my graphics and PSU first?

Then, I know Q9550 is still amazing despite its age, but I'm worried it would bottleneck R9 280x just too much. Ofcourse, if I buy new CPU, I have to upgrade my motherboard(socket 775) aswell.

What Im asking you guys is this: should I upgrade my graphics first? or should I buy CPU and motherboard? Which route would you go for?

Also, I would be really thankful if you could help me at choosing components:

Graphics ~300€ (was thinking about R9 280x)
CPU ~200€ (was thinking about I5-4670K)
Motherboard ~150€ (was thinking about MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING)
RAM ~100€ (was thinking about G.Skill Value Series 8GB DDR3 Kit)
PSU ~N/A (I have no clue about this one :)

Nuclear101

Honorable
The Intel Processor will cause a horrible bottleneck for the R9 280x. I would recommend getting an i5 with that GPU. For the GPU, I would instead go with a Nvidia GPU, as they seem to work better with Intel CPU's. Your chosen CPU is going to be great and the motherboard will compliment that :) For the RAM, you can get Corsair Vengeance Pro's DDR3-1866MHz CAS 9 2x4Gb for less price. For the PSU, I recommend something by Corsair eg. the RM series line. They're quiet, energy efficient, and don't have a huge price tag.

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

Thank you for your answer. At first I was thinking about getting Nvidia GPU, but they're overpriced. (50€ more for same performance as R9 280x). So, my best bet would be to sell this computer and buy new one, instead of upgrading this?

Nuclear101

Honorable

The reason AMD is cheaper but somewhat better is because their GPU's use more electricity and run hotter than Nvidia GPU's. They run stock at 80C, giving almost no O/C Headroom and use 50 more watts of TDP.