[SOLVED] Upgrading components after experiencing lot's of crashing

dvdb

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
Hi,

Two years ago i've build my first PC. I was happy with it and it did everything i needed it to do.
Now after two years and multiple games failing on me while playing, i've decided i want to make it all better, make my pc worth it again.

The problems i've been experiencing in games are the following:

It does not seem as much but i can't just play games i want to because of this. I will always crash and not be able to play. Sometimes before i even loaded the menu, other times randomly in game, and also sometimes whenever there is happening too much in the game.

My computer is build with the following parts:

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600 w/ stock cooler
    ASUS prime B350-plus
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666-DDR4 (2x4gb), this is not sure. I lost the box and can't see it in my order history.
    Gigabyte Windforce 1060 3gb OC
    Seasonic M12II EVO 520W
    Samsung evo 860
    WD 1tb HDD

The parts i've been thinking about of getting are the following (to both upgrade, and hopefully solve my problems)

• MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor 8G < Obviously to upgrade my graphics card.
    Corsair Vengeane LPX 3000-ddr4 (2x4gb) < i don't know if the frequency rate really matters that much, if it does: Should i get 16gb of 3000, or 16gb of 2666? Since i already have two sticks of 2666 memory
    Corsair RMx Series RM650x < I've read by the productspecifications of the rtx2070 that it needs 550Watts of power. My current powersupply can't deliver this much.

I'm sorry for the long thread. I tried to include as much information as possible.

As you can see, i have not much experience with building pc's. And probably most of the people will think this is not a good build at all. Thats why i try to improve it now.

The question i have is:
Will these new components help me in solving my issues which i have?
Are there other things for me to do better? Or to look out for?

Anyways; Thanks regards!

Solution

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Start by testing your ram sticks with memtest86.

After that, if they pass, borrow a gpu and test with that instead of your own. The errors could very well be gpu related.

Dont just upgrade thinking that will solve anything when you dont know what is causing the problem.

Solution

dvdb

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
I do want to get 16gb of RAM anyway, but thanks! The software will help me decide which RAM stickes i'll buy!

Do you think these all these components will work well if I decide to get it all anyways?

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019

Get exact same specced ram sticks if you plan to keep the ones you have and add more. If replacing the old sticks, go for whatever your wallet and mobo can support :)