[SOLVED] Upgrading Computer - Is everything compatible?

VanillaZero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
Hopefully, this is in the right forum/community.

Need some advice on the specs I'm thinking of getting to make sure everything will work when installed (upgrading core components so some items will be under "old") trying to go middle of the road in terms of budget with:

New Items:
Processor = AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO = ASUS ROG Strix X470-f
RAM = G.Skill Ripjaws V
PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+

Old Items (keeping)
GPU = EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Case = Corsair Carbide Series 400r
Heatsink = XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk edition
SSD = Samsung 500gb

That's pretty much what I'm thinking of putting together to upgrade my rig and want to make sure everything will work with each other and I'm not running into some unknown voltage or compatibility problem I didn't see.

Thanks for any help or advice !

Solution
Ram looks good.
Motherboard is fine.
A 2700x is a good cpu for gaming, but if you can get a 3600 for simmilar price it will offer better gaming performance in general.

For the PSU id go for a corsair tx650m or rm650m.
I would avoid that PSU. The EVGA G1+ units are rather old and not amazing. Look for the updated EVGA G2.

What exact ram?

Why go with x470 when you can go with B450 for less money and similar features? Also, if gaming the 3600 will outperform a 2700x for similar money.

VanillaZero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
I was actually back and forth on a ASUS B450-f and the X470-f: most of what i read had the x470 as a more solid MOBO (Current MOBO is a POS and has cause me IMMENSE problems; so want to make sure the one i get is Solid)

Didn't know that about the PSU - is there one that you'd recommend?

System - mostly gaming, a lot of video (work related not extremely taxing but needs to run HD on dual monitors) general use.

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Selected that Processor because I can get it for like $140.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I was actually back and forth on a ASUS B450-f and the X470-f: most of what i read had the x470 as a more solid MOBO (Current MOBO is a POS and has cause me IMMENSE problems; so want to make sure the one i get is Solid)
But how much are you actually paying for it?

Because a decent B450 mobo will be very good too - and spending a little more could potentially get you something much, much better.