Upgrading Computer

Ishan_3

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
I have the dell 5675 gaming pc. Ryzen 1700x, rx 580 8gb, 16gb ram. The prebuilt has a dell motherboard which is locked and I cannot do anything with it. My ram is 3000MHZ, but I cant enable xmp since the motherboard is locked. The airflow is also kind of bad with the case sinec the gpu get hot very quickly. Its blower sytle refernce model. Should I buy a new b450 motherboard + a new case (both combined are $120 ish). Or build a new computer from ?

Buying a new case is fine...as long as the Dell mobo conforms to the ATX standard for standoff/mounting locations. A case can be reused in future builds.

New mobo is a bit more of a challenging proposition. You have to weigh what the perceived outcome will be. Are you doing this upgrade ONLY to get your RAM from 2666MHz to 3000MHz?

The GPU can be undervolted easily to reduce heat/noise without sacrificing performance. I can help you though that

All these decision revolve around budget. We do need to know what your comfort level is with swapping parts on your own, or building from scratch, or if you're looking for another pre-built. If you've got the $$, performance can certainly be increased by a fair margin by going with a new build.

Also, what monitor are you using?