[SOLVED] Upgrading core components and need advice and info on keeping data

Aug 9, 2019
I am changing my motherboard, CPU and ram type and size. I want to know if there are any precautions or what i can do with regards to keeping all of my data on an HDD and not having to clean reinstall windows on my OS dedicated SSD (that has a few games and programs on).
Are there any things i have to do before hand, this is my first time doing a large upgrade so anything like; uninstalling drivers. or removing the game HDD before hand etc.
Further into the future i am also changing my graphics card, are there any extra tips you could give me on that also.

I am easily capable (i hope) on the hardware aspects, but dont want to ruin my data and spend weeks reinstalling games and programs and losing irreplaceable files.

Current build:
CPU: amd fx 8350 w/ aftermarket cooler
GPU: gtx 1050ti
8gb of ddr3 ram
OS dedicated SSD and 1tb HDD for games and programs

Upgrading to
i5 9600k
asus TUF Z370-plus gaming II motherboard
16gb of DDR4 3200MHz corsair ram

soon after, I will be getting a gtx 1660ti
if anyone can recommend any better or more suitable upgrade for me (at a similar same price) I would also appreciate that
Thanks in advance

Solution
Unknown about other game launchers. You'll have to look into those.

As mentioned above, have that drive disconnected during this process.
Keeping data is easy, just ensure it is on a drive that is not plugged into the new machine until after the windows install.

Not reinstalling is tricky, windows has installed loads of settings for your hardware, changing to completely different hardware will generally mean the OS won't run, or will run with issues.

Clean install is the only way to be safe.

DSzymborski

Titan
Is this data not being backed up? Upgrading and wiping a hard drive should never be a problem when it comes to losing data, because data that is actually important ought to be backed up in a minimum of three different copies on at least two different mediums with at least one stored offsite.

As for reinstalling, we're talking very different platforms. The best practice here is a full wipe and Windows reinstall. Windows 10 does a better job than Windows 7 or 8 did, but Windows is not intended to be modular in this manner unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go installation. You're finally clearing out your 2012 platform; don't start your 2019 build's life by gimping it with the leftover detritus from an old Windows install with drivers for an old AMD platform.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Aug 9, 2019

thanks man, but is my upgrade choice sound? or should i alter it a bit?

Aug 9, 2019
What CPU cooler? That i5 does not come with one.
its a premade Mobo. cpu and ram combo with a basic cooler. but i plan on putting a high end aftermarket one in there (my room is an oven)
but do you have any actual component recommendations or alterations. i was really hoping to get some while in this thread

dementedchase

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Always start by making a backup.. and then:
Everything everyone else has said above ( fresh install for no issues), but you could also just plug in all the drives, boot and see how far you get - no harm, no foul.

Remember that, depending on your version of windows, and how you got it, you will need to find the product key, or a digital license, and likewise for any other software licensed to your hardware /PC.

If you had an OEM version of windows, you might have more issues, and have to call Microsoft to activate- and they are not always accommodating.

good luck!