Question Upgrading CPU + a few other components ?

alkeks

Reputable
Apr 14, 2018
Hey!

I've been thinking of upgrading some of my PC components, mainly CPU.
But in order to upgrade my CPU I would need to buy a new motherboard, RAM and AIO cooler.
I'm using the computer primarily for gaming (Call of Duty, CS:GO, Fortnite, Rust, Witcher, AC, etc.), but sometimes I do some streaming or editing.

My current rig:
Screen: BenQ Zowie XL2546K (1080p - 240 Hz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
AIO: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz (4x8GB) - CL18
Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 SSD (3500/2700 MB/s)
GPU: Asus ROG RTX Strix 3060 TI
PSU: Corsair RM1000 (1000 W)

Components I've looked at:
Motherboard: Asus ROG X670E Hero
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X
AIO: Corsair H150i ELITE (360mm)
RAM: G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (2x16GB) either CL36 or CL40
Storage: Kingston KC3000 M.2 - 2TB (7000/7000 MB/s)

I'm not sure if I should go for CL36 or CL40, but from what I've found I should go for the CL36 version.
Any suggestions for CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Storage/AIO?

But in order to upgrade my CPU I would need to buy a new motherboard, RAM and AIO cooler.

Hey there,

So, that's not really necessary. You could go for a nice 12th/13th Gen Intel CPU (12600k or 13500) with a Z690 or B660, keep your ram and everything else that's transferable. That would give a nice boost and would be nearly as good as a 7950x. Of course the 7950x is a really strong CPU, but I think it's prob overkill for you.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($298.04 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $718.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 09:43 EST-0500

Then you could get a really good GPU with the difference remaining in your budget. Using your 3060ti to offset the cost of a new GPU will make it even cheaper again.

For storage, I do admit I like my Samsung drives, so I'd prog go with a 980 Pro 2 tb

Due to motherboard costs AMD systems based on Zen4/AM5 a a little more expensive than Intel. For the first time in a while Intel, you could argue, are the more consumer cost friendly.

Reactions: Why_Me
Hey there,

So, that's not really necessary. You could go for a nice 12th/13th Gen Intel CPU (12600k or 13500) with a Z690 or B660, keep your ram and everything else that's transferable. That would give a nice boost and would be nearly as good as a 7950x. Of course the 7950x is a really strong CPU, but I think it's prob overkill for you.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($298.04 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $718.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 09:43 EST-0500

Then you could get a really good GPU with the difference remaining in your budget. Using your 3060ti to offset the cost of a new GPU will make it even cheaper again.

For storage, I do admit I like my Samsung drives, so I'd prog go with a 980 Pro 2 tb

Due to motherboard costs AMD systems based on Zen4/AM5 a a little more expensive than Intel. For the first time in a while Intel, you could argue, are the more consumer cost friendly.
That i5 13500 will drop to $250 by the end of the month when it comes in stock at Newegg. That cpu has some nice benchmarks.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
With gaming being your predominant workload I definitely think it's worth waiting to see what the X3D chips look like performance wise. Currently due to the differences between CCDs on AMD you can get less than ideal performance when gaming sometimes on the 7900/7950 models. So unless you really want that peak multithreaded from AMD it might be better to look at 6/8 core at which point going Intel is likely the better option (though waiting to see what the 7800X3D does would be best).

Two questions regarding your plans:
Do you plan on doing any performance tweaking (overclocking/undercoating etc)?

Are you going to use whatever you don't move over for a new machine/spare or just getting rid of it?

The reason I ask the second is that you've got a good SSD and in all likelihood wouldn't notice a new one with higher sequential unless you're bottlenecking now with what editing work you do. Your cooler may also support AM5/LGA 1700 (I'm pretty sure it would support AM5 out of the box due to AMD matching AM4 height) with an adapter sold by Corsair.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
From someone on the AM4 platform having the chance to jump from a much older CPU to a new one provided great value to me. That being said with the budget you stated I would recommend looking strongly towards the AM5 platform which AMD has stated support till at least 2025 (maybe have some chances to upgrade in 3 or 4 years). At this point in time I would recommend going DDR5 6000 as it seems to be a sweet spot for both AMD and Intel. I saw you said you do editing. Do you know if your programs will actually benefit greatly from more cores? Is editing more of a hobby and gaming is your primary focus? If gaming is more for you the 7700x would do great for you vs the 16 core part. You could take that extra cash and invest in a 4070ti and sell your 3060 on the used market. But as all the others mentioned the CPU landscape is likely to change pretty dramatically in the next month or so. I would recommend waiting.

Side note if you go AMD and think you might want to have an upgrade path for the future maybe invest is a X670E variation, supports PCI gen 5 on the PCI slot and for M.2 storage.

alkeks

Reputable
Apr 14, 2018
Lots of interesseting comments. I appriciated all the time and effort from all of you.

I've never heard of the 3D-V Cache before, so thanks for that suggestion! After reading more about it, I actually think waiting to see the performance of those would be the best right now.

With my current setup I have overclocked both my CPU and RAM (?), so there is a chance I might do it with the new components as well. I haven't looked too much into it yet.

Gaming is the main purpose of the computer. Editing/Streaming is just a minor hobby at this point - but if the computer works great with editing I might do it more often.
The spare parts from my older computer I will use to build a computer for my brother. So no parts will go to waste.

Overclocking-wise. things are more locked down on the Intel side so getting a Z690/790 motherboard and a K SKU CPU just makes your life easier, but limits component choices. AMD is pretty open about it so you just need to find a quality motherboard and you're good to go.

Glad to hear you'll be able to wait it seems like the best choice of action now if there's no pressing need.