Question Upgrading cpu and motherboard help

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Hey all,

I have built a couple of computers in the past but this is my first time upgrading parts in my PC.

For Christmas this year I am upgrading from a Z-170 mother board to a Z-390 motherboard to install my new i5-9600K. I was reading a little about how i would need to flash my BIOS and reset my computer.

Can i upgrade both motherboard and CPU while keeping all my computer setting/ info on there? or would i need to back my whole computer up to an external drive?

Reactions: lifarinholt

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Which Z-390 board exactly? Might not have to do any BIOS update depending on the board.
Switching motherboards will de-activate W10. You can try re-activating it. Most times it will let you with no issues. But you may have to go thru the telephone re-activation if it fails.

Since the boards are similar Intel systems, you will probably be able to pass on a clean install. Win will install the new drivers as needed. But you may want to run something like CCleaner to clean up garbage and registry errors that will happen.

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Which Z-390 board exactly? Might not have to do any BIOS update depending on the board.
Switching motherboards will de-activate W10. You can try re-activating it. Most times it will let you with no issues. But you may have to go thru the telephone re-activation if it fails.

Since the boards are similar Intel systems, you will probably be able to pass on a clean install. Win will install the new drivers as needed. But you may want to run something like CCleaner to clean up garbage and registry errors that will happen.
I just found this motherboard that has some physical characteristics i need to fit all my stuff in : Here . Im upgrading from an ASUS Z-170 pro gaming motherboard. My windows account is no longer a local account which i heard could have caused issues.

Im just scared i could lose all my information like, passwords, school information, games, photos. I would love if i could just plug and play but im just not sure which steps to take as im not experienced in these kinds of upgrades.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I just found this motherboard that has some physical characteristics i need to fit all my stuff in : Here . Im upgrading from an ASUS Z-170 pro gaming motherboard. My windows account is no longer a local account which i heard could have caused issues.

Im just scared i could lose all my information like, passwords, school information, games, photos. I would love if i could just plug and play but im just not sure which steps to take as im not experienced in these kinds of upgrades.
That board requires 2203 BIOS (or later) to recognize the i5-9600K. That BIOS came out back in 2019/04/15 , so chances are any board you buy from places with high turn-overs like Newegg or Amazon will be good to go as-is. If not, you will need a BIOS update obviously. That will require a CPU that is recognized by the current BIOS.

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
That board requires 2203 BIOS (or later) to recognize the i5-9600K. That BIOS came out back in 2019/04/15 , so chances are any board you buy from places with high turn-overs like Newegg or Amazon will be good to go as-is. If not, you will need a BIOS update obviously. That will require a CPU that is recognized by the current BIOS.
Wait so is that motherboard a bad choice? any other recommendations?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Also still a little confused on BIOS version number. How could i know if i need to update/ how can i do the update
Well... if it's on the way, then you'll know soon enough. Breadboard it outside the case when you get the board. Connect just the board, CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, and monitor (to the iGPU). You may want to add your keyboard. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's power switch would connect to. A screwdriver tip works well.

If you get a display, you're fine. If your keyboard is connected, try entering BIOS. That will tell you you're good to go.

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Well... if it's on the way, then you'll know soon enough. Breadboard it outside the case when you get the board. Connect just the board, CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, and monitor (to the iGPU). You may want to add your keyboard. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's power switch would connect to. A screwdriver tip works well.

If you get a display, you're fine. If your keyboard is connected, try entering BIOS. That will tell you you're good to go.
not sure if this means anything but this is something i looked up on my PC. "BIOS Version/Date : American Megatrends Inc. 1206, 3/7/2016

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
tbh as of right now my plan of attack is to just build it, try to boot it up. If somthing happens i have a flash drive with the latest BIOS version on it.

I went ahead and took my most precious files and put it onto a external drive just incase.

The Asus Z390 motherboard you gave chosen will not need a bios update for the 9600K to work. That motherboard is both 8th and 9th gen ready and the 9600K is a straight drop in.

Also save all you key files as a clean Windows 10 install is key as otherwise you may well have issues...

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
The Asus Z390 motherboard you gave chosen will not need a bios update for the 9600K to work. That motherboard is both 8th and 9th gen ready and the 9600K is a straight drop in.

Also save all you key files as a clean Windows 10 install is key as otherwise you may well have issues...
what do you mean save all my key files as a clean windows install?

sorry if i sound stupid just have never done this before

Hi Paul,

No problems at all...Only that you should do a fresh Windows 10 install when upgrading to a new motherboard and if you are using the same SSD then transfer any files or backup and files just in case as you do not want to lose anything.

A new Windows 10 install will make sure you do not have any conflicts or issues..Oh and I have noticed that you have moved the files to an external drive so my apologies.....

Small-Change

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
hey everyone, just went ahead and installed everything. Booted up great and all my files stayed on perfectly.

Right after a boot up and installation my CPU is running at like 43-46C is that okay?

Not sure if booting up and installing all the stuff would make it run a little hot.