Question Upgrading cpu and motherboard, need suggestions.

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
My current build is a 1650 super with a i7-6700 which I've been told was a bottleneck but it was okay for the games I played, I'm now planning on upgrading the CPU but for that, I'd also need a new motherboard and I'm looking for suggestions up to 200€ . So far I thought about getting the i5-10400F which is at an affordable price given I'm willing to spend 200 for these 2 parts but somebody recommended the ryzen 3 3600 or the ryzen 5 5600, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding that. Also, I have a 500W psu which I'm not sure I'll need to change.
Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
My current build is a 1650 super with a i7-6700 which I've been told was a bottleneck but it was okay for the games I played, I'm now planning on upgrading the CPU but for that, I'd also need a new motherboard and I'm looking for suggestions up to 200€ . So far I thought about getting the i5-10400F which is at an affordable price given I'm willing to spend 200 for these 2 parts but somebody recommended the ryzen 3 3600 or the ryzen 5 5600, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding that. Also, I have a 500W psu which I'm not sure I'll need to change.
Thanks in advance.
Since you are swapping motherboards, you should PLAN to have to do a clean OS install and application reinstall. Get install media, keys, logins, etc for all your software documented so that you can easily do a clean install. Don't assume your current OS "will just work" with the new motherboard and be stuck with no working hardware.

Reactions: biruz117

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Since you are swapping motherboards, you should PLAN to have to do a clean OS install and application reinstall. Get install media, keys, logins, etc for all your software documented so that you can easily do a clean install. Don't assume your current OS "will just work" with the new motherboard and be stuck with no working hardware.
Thanks for the tip, I'm planning to save everything on another drive, I probably will need another windows key since this one came with my computer and I can't seem to find the activation key, although it is linked to my microsoft account but either way I'll look into it.

biruz117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
This is one of those situations where you should really try and get together a little more. For another 50€ you can bump up to a 12400F and a B660 motherboard.

The extra L2 cache and L3 cache make an enormous difference in performance.

Checking it out, thanks for the suggestion I might go for it, it seems to be ahead of the 5600x in terms of performance too.