[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU and Motherboard

Oct 3, 2021
I am attempting to upgrade my CPU and ultimately my motherboard with it as my current motherboard isn't compatible with a newer CPU. My question is whether or not a Intel i9-10900k will cause bottlenecking in my NVIDIA GTX 1080 or should I be fine with it for now. It might also be helpful to add that I will be looking to upgrade my GPU as well in the future, however, I am not trying to spend too much money all at once. Any and all help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Solution
i9 10900k draw alot of power and heat somehow, while ryzen 5000 series cpu managed to only produce more heat (less than intel, due to the chip placed not on middle) but still pull less power than intel if both using the advertised max all core speed (mce + unrestricting the PL2 on intel), and ryzen 5000G series is the one that almost impersonates intel on monolithic design and the chip is on the middle, giving better temperature headroom (somehow better fclk and oc all core).

if you don't plan on overclocking you could go i9 10850k instead, a lower binned 10900k, usually cheaper. if you don't need that much core, you could just go i7 10700f/k/kf or 11700f/k/kf. just make sure go for a good motherboard.

bencomputerhelp

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
What is your current CPU? What type of monitor do you use? What type of games do you play?

These matter for many reasons.
higher res= more GPU usage.
unless you get a good deal on a 10th gen intel CPU, I would get ryzen 5000 instead if you are going to get a new GPU aswell. games that support pcie 3.0 gen 4 will get more fps with a cpu that also supports it.

i9 10900k draw alot of power and heat somehow, while ryzen 5000 series cpu managed to only produce more heat (less than intel, due to the chip placed not on middle) but still pull less power than intel if both using the advertised max all core speed (mce + unrestricting the PL2 on intel), and ryzen 5000G series is the one that almost impersonates intel on monolithic design and the chip is on the middle, giving better temperature headroom (somehow better fclk and oc all core).

if you don't plan on overclocking you could go i9 10850k instead, a lower binned 10900k, usually cheaper. if you don't need that much core, you could just go i7 10700f/k/kf or 11700f/k/kf. just make sure go for a good motherboard.

Solution
Oct 3, 2021
What is your current CPU? What type of monitor do you use? What type of games do you play?

These matter for many reasons.
higher res= more GPU usage.
unless you get a good deal on a 10th gen intel CPU, I would get ryzen 5000 instead if you are going to get a new GPU aswell. games that support pcie 3.0 gen 4 will get more fps with a cpu that also supports it.
I currently have an i5-7600k, i use a acer xf240Q that has 240hz and 1920x1080 res. I usually play FPS games, however I do play the occasional single player like assassins creed and skyrim and such.

Oct 3, 2021

I do plan on over clocking at some point as well and as for the motherboard I have my eye on ASUS - ROG STRIX Z590-E. So, with that in mind, the would the best option be the i9 10900k and will there be any issue with bottlenecking since my GPU is a NVIDIA GTX 1080?

I do plan on over clocking at some point as well and as for the motherboard I have my eye on ASUS - ROG STRIX Z590-E. So, with that in mind, the would the best option be the i9 10900k and will there be any issue with bottlenecking since my GPU is a NVIDIA GTX 1080?
Dont worry much about bottlenecking, you got a good gpu for now, well as long as you know the limit of that gpu, the gpu wont bottleneck the cpu by noticable effects.

Z590 E is pretty solid, much like a small nerfed Crosshair VIII Hero (see bullzoid vid on youtube).

if you do need the cores well i prefer go on amd 5000 series one instead, since it will max out at 5950X for now (16c 32t). If you dont then go for i9 10850k if they sell it, usually cheaper since its a lower bin 10900k.

bencomputerhelp

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
I currently have an i5-7600k, i use a acer xf240Q that has 240hz and 1920x1080 res. I usually play FPS games, however I do play the occasional single player like assassins creed and skyrim and such.
Since you play at 1080p, you should see a fairly decent jump in frames. The worse graphics you play at, the bigger the increase will be, since the 10900k is pretty big improvement.

logainofhades

Titan
Spend less and go with a 10850k, or spend more and get a 5900x. The 10900k is not a very good price/performance option. This is of course if you feel you really need the extra cores. A 10700k/5800x is more than enough. 11700k is another bad price/performance chip.