therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019
Hey all, I am looking to upgrade my CPU. Here's the current specs
MOBO: MSI b450 Gaming plus MAX
GPU: Radeon RX 580
RAM: 16GB 3200 GHz
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

When I got the CPU a few pins were bent slightly, straightened them out and it seemed to work fine. Having issues with ram only showing 1/2 the installed in MOBO, but i digress.
The main reason I wish to upgrade is because I feel the computer lacking and I believe it has to do with my CPU's pins being bent when i got it. I want a decent boost in speed but nothing that will make me break the bank. Much love and many waffles for the help!

Solution
Well, it depends if you want game performance or general performance.

What you could take is 3600X cpu or cpu + gpu combo, as this cpu will not go faster with stronger gpu already. (link)

This is probably the best thing you could do without going into details on what do you do.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/4041vs3919

in most cases, it's a good idea to open task manager while you do your thing and look at what is maxed out, and started working on that part first. (in case of ram going above 70% means maxed out, it slows down after that)

3600x will max out this gpu and there is no reason to go higher unless you really slam cpu...

What you could take is 3600X cpu or cpu + gpu combo, as this cpu will not go faster with stronger gpu already. (link)

This is probably the best thing you could do without going into details on what do you do.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/4041vs3919

in most cases, it's a good idea to open task manager while you do your thing and look at what is maxed out, and started working on that part first. (in case of ram going above 70% means maxed out, it slows down after that)

3600x will max out this gpu and there is no reason to go higher unless you really slam cpu and gpu is there just for show.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution

therealityreaper

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019

3600x will max out this gpu and there is no reason to go higher unless you really slam cpu and gpu is there just for show.
Thanks for the imput, game preformence is what im after. I'll keep task manager open while i game and look

Hey all, I am looking to upgrade my CPU. Here's the current specs
MOBO: MSI b450 Gaming plus MAX
GPU: Radeon RX 580
RAM: 16GB 3200 GHz
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

When I got the CPU a few pins were bent slightly, straightened them out and it seemed to work fine. Having issues with ram only showing 1/2 the installed in MOBO, but i digress.
The main reason I wish to upgrade is because I feel the computer lacking and I believe it has to do with my CPU's pins being bent when i got it. I want a decent boost in speed but nothing that will make me break the bank. Much love and many waffles for the help!

A bent pin could easily be the cause of your board not recognizing all the memory. The thing to really watch for, though, is if the bent pin also managed to deform the socket contact such that it won't work with a new CPU. That would be a bummer to get a new CPU only to find you have the same memory problem, and hindered performance as a result.

I agree with a 3600X being an excellent gaming upgrade. But that board could also work well with a 5600X if you wanted. They seem to have much better availability right now, even finding them at discounts to MSRP.

Reactions: Rdslw