[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU Cooler; i5 LGA1155

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
Hello all,

I have been planning on upgrading my pc for a while now and eventually plan on purchasing a new LGA1155 i7 processor capable of overclocking. I currently have an i5-3470 (LGA1155) and want to upgrade my cpu cooler as a first step (a cool processor is a happy processor). I’m wondering if I could get some suggestions for which cpu coolers would be the best choice for both the i5 and an overclocked i7. I’ve been looking at several things during my search:
-ease of installation
-effectiveness at cooling
-visual aesthetics (since I have a clear side panel on my tower case)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's only 1 i7 that'd be an lga1155 upgrade, the i7-3770k. That's only going to be usable on a Z77 motherboard, otherwise no OC.

Your cooler choice will depend on 1 thing, limit. Just how far are you wanting to take it. My 3770k sat at 4.9GHz for 4 years on a nzxt Kraken X61 and gaming temps never exceeded 55°C. But thats a 280mm AIO. Currently it's sitting at 4.6GHz with a Cryorig R1 Ultimate. Same temps.

So where are you going with this? Mild OC, heavy OC, as high as it'll go OC? What's the budget, preference on AIO's or air coolers? Will your case even fit a 280mm aio? RGB? Will your mobo even handle a big OC? Or is it a cheapo Z77 with minimal ability?

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
There's only 1 i7 that'd be an lga1155 upgrade, the i7-3770k. That's only going to be usable on a Z77 motherboard, otherwise no OC.

Your cooler choice will depend on 1 thing, limit. Just how far are you wanting to take it. My 3770k sat at 4.9GHz for 4 years on a nzxt Kraken X61 and gaming temps never exceeded 55°C. But thats a 280mm AIO. Currently it's sitting at 4.6GHz with a Cryorig R1 Ultimate. Same temps.

So where are you going with this? Mild OC, heavy OC, as high as it'll go OC? What's the budget, preference on AIO's or air coolers? Will your case even fit a 280mm aio? RGB? Will your mobo even handle a big OC? Or is it a cheapo Z77 with minimal ability?
I plan on getting a z77 motherboard before I overclock. Also, no, there are other chips that can overclock (any K series chip, for example. I’m planning to go with a i7 2600k)

I’m likely only going to moderately overclock because I don’t want to risk much physical damage in the event a system fan fails and I’m just looking to have the option of overclocking if I need to (I’m a gamer and a music producer and both of those things can be cpu intensive). I’m buying each part separately, with a budget of around $50 to $100 for each part (minus the processor which will likely be the most expensive)

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
that actually seems like it would work really well with my planned system to be honest!

Update: I just looked to see if it was compatible with the case I have at the moment (rosewill nautilus, I had to figure out which model I have) and it apparently isn’t compatible but It wouldn’t be too expensive to just buy a new case that is compatible so -shrugs-

Last edited: