[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU for Samsung Laptop NP300e5a

flynempire

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Good afternoon, I decided to post here after I have tried several searches on Google with no luck. I was given a laptop an I would consider this a reclamation project. Its about 9 years old but in great shape as it was hardly used.

The model is samsung np300e5a-a05us. I have gotten a 1TB SSD and I can confirm 16GB of memory works even though it says supports 8. My one issue is the CPU.

It contains a second generation Intel Core i3 2310M. I want to upgrade to Core i5 or Core i7 and it may support 3rd generation Core i but not certain. I believe the chipset is HM65.

If anyone knows where to find the CPU upgrade info please let me know. I dont know if I am doing a Google search wrong , cant fin info at Samsung site.

Thank You,

Victor

Solution
Personally I'd stick to the 2nd Generation of Intel mobile processors and make sure I'm exceeding the 35W TDP for the processor since the cooling in the laptop might not be able to handle a higher TDP chip. I have an HP ProBook 4430s that also has the same processor and chipset motherboard but I won't go to a 45W TDP mobile processor with regards to a processor upgrade.

Might want to read through this thread;

Lutfij

Titan
Personally I'd stick to the 2nd Generation of Intel mobile processors and make sure I'm exceeding the 35W TDP for the processor since the cooling in the laptop might not be able to handle a higher TDP chip. I have an HP ProBook 4430s that also has the same processor and chipset motherboard but I won't go to a 45W TDP mobile processor with regards to a processor upgrade.

Solution

flynempire

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013

Hello, thanks for replying. i did find that there is a 3rd Gen i7 compatible with this chipset. Core i7-3555LE and the TDP according to Intel site is 25 W. Do you think I should pursue this one?

Thanks