Upgrading CPU from Intel Core i3 2130 @ 3.40GHz to Intel i5 2380P @ 3.1GHz

Solution
You should be fine. That CPU has a TDP of 95w, the 4790 with a TDP 84w works fine with a 300w PSU in a fairly basic PC. But a 300w PSU is not very powerful. If you have plans to upgrade your video card you will probably need a more capable PSU as soon as you think about graphics.
But unless you are getting that Intel i5 2380P for next to nothing, I'm not sure it is a wise upgrade. There are more efficient CPUs that are both more powerful and use less electricity. Also the real world performance from the above named CPUS would not be that much of a difference. slightly Faster per-core dual-core vs slightly slower per-core quad core. You would probably be happier saving a little longer for a newer PC.
You should be fine. That CPU has a TDP of 95w, the 4790 with a TDP 84w works fine with a 300w PSU in a fairly basic PC. But a 300w PSU is not very powerful. If you have plans to upgrade your video card you will probably need a more capable PSU as soon as you think about graphics.
But unless you are getting that Intel i5 2380P for next to nothing, I'm not sure it is a wise upgrade. There are more efficient CPUs that are both more powerful and use less electricity. Also the real world performance from the above named CPUS would not be that much of a difference. slightly Faster per-core dual-core vs slightly slower per-core quad core. You would probably be happier saving a little longer for a newer PC.

Solution

Z0rr0platead0

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Reason to ask is that when I place in the i5 CPU the PC doesn't book up properly, power goes into the board, the fans go round but the screen is black, boo hoo :??: , but when I put the old CPU back in everything is fine :sarcastic:

Sounds like you found your answer yourself. As it seems that even if the processors are very similar either the 30w max power draw is too much or just as likely your PC bios does not support it. Either way, then result it the same.