[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU, Graphics Card, Motherboard, and Ram Later, is there anything to look out for?

Zane_Alto

Reputable
Mar 12, 2019
Im going from an am3 motherboard, 8 gb ddr3, amd 5x 6300 and a gtx 1050 2gb to a B450M Pro-M2 motherboard, 8gb ddr4, ryzen 5 1700 cpu and a gtx 1660 6gb, what order should i put stuff in? is there any software I have to deal with/install/delete? do i just take everything out and slip in all the new stuff altogether? I just really do not want to break or damage anything :)

Last edited:
Solution
Hey thanks! Sorry I did not mean to put 2 gb ddr4 i meant 8, also did u see what psu i have? i have a 420W LC Power is that bad for my setup?
Thanks for mentioning the PSU. Almost everyone will tell you that using that PSU is a bad idea, and to purchase one from a reliable brand like Corsair, EVGA, etc.. Do NOT cheap out on your PSU. You are risking the life of your entire system if you buy an unreliable unit on the cheap. As for wattage, you´ll probably be best with something around 600-700W. Could get away with 500 or 400, too, but it´s better to get higher wattage in case you want to upgrade more.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Get a new PSU first (this is important). Then install new motherboard, CPU and RAM at the same time, as none of them are compatible by themselves with any of your current hardware. Note: 2GB of DDR4 is NOT enough. Judging by your graphics card choice you'll want 8gb at the least.Upgrade the graphics card last.

Zane_Alto

Reputable
Mar 12, 2019
Get a new PSU first (this is important). Then install new motherboard, CPU and RAM at the same time, as none of them are compatible by themselves with any of your current hardware. Note: 2GB of DDR4 is NOT enough. Judging by your graphics card choice you'll want 8gb at the least.Upgrade the graphics card last.
Hey thanks! Sorry I did not mean to put 2 gb ddr4 i meant 8, also did u see what psu i have? i have a 420W LC Power is that bad for my setup?

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks for mentioning the PSU. Almost everyone will tell you that using that PSU is a bad idea, and to purchase one from a reliable brand like Corsair, EVGA, etc.. Do NOT cheap out on your PSU. You are risking the life of your entire system if you buy an unreliable unit on the cheap. As for wattage, you´ll probably be best with something around 600-700W. Could get away with 500 or 400, too, but it´s better to get higher wattage in case you want to upgrade more.

Solution