Upgrading CPU in Dell Optiplex 360 (thin tower)

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Hi i am wanting to upgrade my CPU, im currently using an Intel core 2 duo E7500 (Socket LGA 775), ive seen alot about the best option being a Core 2 Quad Q9650 but i need someones opinion. I want to mainly do Emulating games and Indie games (some modern games if possible). my budget is upto about $80 I can find out what mobo if needed, i am not running any kind of card because i dont know whats compatible with the thin case. If you need any information just ask.

Solution
For all of these you would have to spend ~$60USD on a slim GPU at a bare minimum. You're not going to be able to run wii games on dolphin with that computer it's just never going to be powerful enough, doesn't really matter which CPU you put in it. You might be able to get like 30fps in a couple gamecube games. PCSX2 might be a tiny bit more manageable. With those other games (CS and garry's mod) I wouldn't expect a consistent 60fps. Fortnite honestly is going to run like crap (MAYBE 30fps if you're lucky) with any CPU/GPU combo you can fit in there. This seems like a lost cause for the games you want to play in my opinion and your money would be best spent on newer hardware. Can you save up for a little bit? Even a system with a sandy...
What kind of games (console-wise) are you planning on emulating and could you give an example of a PC game you want to play? The best bang for your buck would probably be to skip the Q9650 and get a cheap Q6600 instead and consider doing the FSB overclock, then find some low profile graphics card to fit your system with the remaining money. That's assuming you already have at least 4GB of RAM. Have you considered just looking at used gaming systems around you? You might be able to find something significantly faster for not that much more than it would cost to upgrade your system the way you want.

P.S. I don't think the Q9650 is even compatible with your computer based on a few forums
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Upgrade-beyond-Dell-Optiplex-360-s-support-configuration/td-p/3898059

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
1). Mainly using Dolphin and PCSX2 for Gamecube/Wii and Playstaiton 2.
2). CSGO, Garrys Mod, Fortnite
4). ive looked at craigslist, ebay ect. i heard its a bad idea to buy full systems there though. Mainly because I just dont have the money, and thats why im looking to upgrade on what i have.
I currently have a 2GB 2Rx8 PC2 stick of RAM but am looking to upgrade to 2 4GBs or another 2GB

For all of these you would have to spend ~$60USD on a slim GPU at a bare minimum. You're not going to be able to run wii games on dolphin with that computer it's just never going to be powerful enough, doesn't really matter which CPU you put in it. You might be able to get like 30fps in a couple gamecube games. PCSX2 might be a tiny bit more manageable. With those other games (CS and garry's mod) I wouldn't expect a consistent 60fps. Fortnite honestly is going to run like crap (MAYBE 30fps if you're lucky) with any CPU/GPU combo you can fit in there. This seems like a lost cause for the games you want to play in my opinion and your money would be best spent on newer hardware. Can you save up for a little bit? Even a system with a sandy bridge i5 and a cheap GTX 7xx graphics card would be SOOOO much faster than this optiplex. These were made to be office computers not gaming systems.

Solution

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you, you have been very helpful! I think i could save for a while. Do you have any cheaper systems you would recommend that i could slap a 7xx in and run fortnite around 45-50fps, just curious. And again, thank you for your help!