Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
My PC specs:

CPU: i3-2120 3.3Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
MB: H61M-P20 (LGA 1155 socket)
RAM: 8GB
PSU: LC500W

I primarily use my PC to play video games, at least while it could support playing new games on native res.

I will upgrade my GPU to Zotac GTX 1050 Ti Mini next week, so I was thinking about upgrading my CPU too.
For now i will have to keep the motherboard, because I'm on a tight budget.

I was thinking about getting:

i5 3570(k) (40-50eur, 'k' - 80eur)
i7 2600(k) (60eur, 'k' - 100eur)
i7 3770(k) (90eur, 'k' - 100+ eur)

I've put the 'k' in brackets, because I am not quite sure if its worth spending extra money to get the 'k' model, I never overclocked my i3, am not sure if my MB even supports it and i never actually tried to.

I also am going to buy an used CPU, my budget is tight and the CPU's are just so expensive.

Anything I should watch out for when buying the CPU?

Solution

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Yep you can pretty much slap an i7 on it and it will work . As for the OC part, no, it will not work (z series motherboard required) and getting a non k version would be better and cost efficient or you can get the k series if you are going to upgrade the mobo to the z series counterpart. Keep in mind to get the CPU from a good seller as the refurbished or older CPUs might come dead or die in some time.

black_dota

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I cant OC the 3770k, but i can still mount it on the MB, or not?

Reason for asking, I want to meet up with the guy and look at the CPU myself, people selling 3770 are not in my town except this one guy, but he seems shady to me. I want to avoid getting a nicely packaged brick and paying for it 100euros... (sadly it happens in my country often).

abhisekzok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Yep the motherboard should run fine without any hassle. If you really want the k series you can get it but expect no performance gains unless you get a better motherboard. But if you can save a few bucks by getting the non k version, you can also get an aftermarket cooler which IS REQUIRED by the i7. Check if the CPU is physically okay like the metal covering of the CPU is secure and the under contact pins are not scratched.

Solution

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007

Having a weak GPU doesn't make the CPU work more. It makes it work less, as it isn't being fully utilized, due to the slow GPU. The CPU literally waits on the GPU to do it's job.

OP, I would go with the 3770. Just make sure your bios is up to date. Also, before you blow that system up, get a proper power supply. You are risking a fire with that thing.