Question Upgrading CPU/MB,RAM and need some advice on which cpu version to get (k vs kf)

am1590

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I am upgrading my system cpu, mb, and ram. I will be purchasing a I512600 k or kf, ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4/D5 LGA 1700 DDR5 ATX Intel Z690 Intel Motherboard , and Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory CT2K8G48C40U5. I already have a RX480 so I won't be using integrated graphics.
My question is should I anticipate boot issues with the newer components and older rx480? Is it worth getting integrated graphics just in case? Or should everything work fine? It has been over 15 years since I built a pc so I am out of the loop. I know it is only 30 bucks but I am on a budget and want to spend the extra on a good cooler.
Thanks,
Aaron

Is it worth getting integrated graphics just in case? Or should everything work fine? It has been over 15 years since I built a pc so I am out of the loop. I know it is only 30 bucks but I am on a budget and want to spend the extra on a good cooler.

Integrated graphics would be worth 30 to me. Your choice of course.

We have no idea of your budget.

"Should" differs from "will"....you decide how significant that is.

Reactions: KyaraM and Phaaze88

KyaraM

Admirable
500 bucks is my budget. Probably worth spending extra just in cast it doesn't like my card.
Or if your card dies later on. Integrated graphics would allow you to troubleshoot immediately, instead of jumping into cold water, buying a new GPU, amd then just hope that actually was the issue and not something else jn the system.

Btw, I wouldn't personally bother with DDR5-4800 RAM. It will be slower, at best equal to good DDR4 RAM. If you absolutely must go with DDR5 get 5200 or better. But you don't really need it.

am1590

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Or if your card dies later on. Integrated graphics would allow you to troubleshoot immediately, instead of jumping into cold water, buying a new GPU, amd then just hope that actually was the issue and not something else jn the system.

Btw, I wouldn't personally bother with DDR5-4800 RAM. It will be slower, at best equal to good DDR4 RAM. If you absolutely must go with DDR5 get 5200 or better. But you don't really need it.
I did get the K version. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Actually spent a little more and got a 12700k because I found a deal that was too good to pass up. My wife will forgive me.... I hope:) I went for the DDR5 because the cost has come way down. Not much difference in performance at this time, but could change as the tech improves and becomes more affordable at faster speeds. (That was my thinking anyways).
Thanks for your input.