[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU/Mobo, help with HDD

Jun 19, 2020
Hi guys, I have used Intel CPU all my life and my current cpu is getting old. So I bought the Ryzen 5 3600 and B450 Tomohawk motherboard and 16GB RAM. I am planning on using my old SSD, HDD and GPU.

Now, from online research it looks like I need to reinstall Windows when I upgrade, which is fine by me. However, I have a lot of university documents on my HDD and I would like to keep that as it is. I am pretty inexperience on all these. So I would like some advise. Should I leave out my HDD, and then install that after I boot into windows?

And I saw in a video that the drivers for the AMD cpu needs to be installed to gain internet connection. So do I need to install drivers in a USB drive beforehand? And what drivers do I need.

I'll provide my current specs and what I am upgrading to, so you guys can help me:

CPU - i5 4460 (Current) --> r5 3600 (upgrading)

Mobo - H81 GAMER (Current) --> B450 Tomohawk (upgrading)

RAM - 8GB DDR3 (Current) --> 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (Upgrading)

GPU - 1060 6GB

SSD - 120 GB

HDD - 1TB

PSU - EVGA 600W 80+

Thanks

Solution
it would be better if you backup all of those to HDD, clean install windows on your SSD and install all those drivers and stuffs from your motherboard web reference, after doing so, turn off your pc and install the HDD you got. if you have an External Drive it should be better to copy the important ones to external HDD then format your internal hdd with diskpart in CMD.
it would be better if you backup all of those to HDD, clean install windows on your SSD and install all those drivers and stuffs from your motherboard web reference, after doing so, turn off your pc and install the HDD you got. if you have an External Drive it should be better to copy the important ones to external HDD then format your internal hdd with diskpart in CMD.

Last edited:
Solution