[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU/Motherbaord

tosbourne88

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2016
Hello all,
Thinking about upgrading my CPU and MOBO. Starting to show its age with some games. I recently upgraded my GTX 970 STRIX to a RTX 2070 Super. I am running a i7-6700k CPU on the asus tuf sabertooth z170 board with 16 gb ram. What are your thoughts on which cpu i should go with in 2020 that would be the best bang for buck paired with my 2070?

Thanks

Solution
Best bang for your buck in 2020 means AMD Ryzen at any price range. The question now, is do you want to get a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 CPU? The Ryzen 5 has more cores than the i7 you have now, and the Ryzen 7 has more. They will both perform very well, though I would consider the Ryzen 7 because of your higher end GPU.

The Ryzen 7 3700X/3800X are the newest available right now, and combined with a B550/X570 motherboard will unlock PCIe gen 4, which allows for faster storage, and in the future, better GPU performance. They will be more future-proof, and perform great right now as well.

For RAM, if you have DDR3, you will need new ram. If you have DDR4, you could reuse it from your old setup. That being said, depending on what you have now...
Best bang for your buck in 2020 means AMD Ryzen at any price range. The question now, is do you want to get a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 CPU? The Ryzen 5 has more cores than the i7 you have now, and the Ryzen 7 has more. They will both perform very well, though I would consider the Ryzen 7 because of your higher end GPU.

The Ryzen 7 3700X/3800X are the newest available right now, and combined with a B550/X570 motherboard will unlock PCIe gen 4, which allows for faster storage, and in the future, better GPU performance. They will be more future-proof, and perform great right now as well.

For RAM, if you have DDR3, you will need new ram. If you have DDR4, you could reuse it from your old setup. That being said, depending on what you have now, getting new RAM anyway might be advisable. Ryzen benefits greatly from high speed ram. I recommend at least 2x8 3200MHz. Though getting 3600MHz would be good to get, assuming the motherboard you get supports it.

Solution

tosbourne88

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2016

For RAM, if you have DDR3, you will need new ram. If you have DDR4, you could reuse it from your old setup. That being said, depending on what you have now, getting new RAM anyway might be advisable. Ryzen benefits greatly from high speed ram. I recommend at least 2x8 3200MHz. Though getting 3600MHz would be good to get, assuming the motherboard you get supports it.
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at amd lately, but have always been woth intel. Wasnt sure what to do. Should i maybe wait to see the new gen for amd?