Sep 16, 2019
current build: i5 7600 /
asrock b150 pro 4 /
samsung DDR4 16gb ram 2400 MHz (1 stick) /
Galax gtx 1070 EXOC sniper white /
250gb ssd / 1TB HDD /
corsair CX600 /
coolermaster Hypter T4

I want to upgrade to AMD ryzen 7 3700x and any new mobo that supports the chipset for the 3700x (don't really care which model just not top of the line expensive stuff). I'm a total noob about pc building so bare with me. Will i run into any problems using the 1070 with an AMD cpu? Also is my current RAM compatible with a new mobo? When i bought the computer it came with windows installed alrdy but i didnt pay for it. A few months later my pc kept saying "your windows license will expire soon" and the guy who built it sent me a windows key code and said it was a official key. I heard that I should link that key code to my microsoft account so I can reinstall windows from that and not have to buy another windows for like 200 bucks... not sure if I can do that though. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
Your gtx 1070 will work fine with AMD CPU but you wont get the full potential of the cpu with this GPU. Your ram is DDR4 and compatible BUT its only a single dim and 2400mhz. To get the maximum performance of Ryzen you need dual channel and minimum 3200Mhz ram. To get the maximum performance out of 3000 series ryzen is to get a 3600Mhz kit. If you want a good motherboard that is out of the box compatible and dont want to pay the premium for the extra features like pci-e 4.0 then look for MSI MAX motherboards MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is a very good motherboard for the price. Personally i have my windows key linked to my microsoft account and when i install windows again with new mobo i pressed i dont have a key inserted my account and after...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
current build: i5 7600 /
asrock b150 pro 4 /
samsung DDR4 16gb ram 2400 MHz (1 stick) /
Galax gtx 1070 EXOC sniper white /
250gb ssd / 1TB HDD /
corsair CX600 /
coolermaster Hypter T4

I want to upgrade to AMD ryzen 7 3700x and any new mobo that supports the chipset for the 3700x (don't really care which model just not top of the line expensive stuff). I'm a total noob about pc building so bare with me. Will i run into any problems using the 1070 with an AMD cpu? Also is my current RAM compatible with a new mobo? When i bought the computer it came with windows installed alrdy but i didnt pay for it. A few months later my pc kept saying "your windows license will expire soon" and the guy who built it sent me a windows key code and said it was a official key. I heard that I should link that key code to my microsoft account so I can reinstall windows from that and not have to buy another windows for like 200 bucks... not sure if I can do that though. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Irishfro,

That 1070 is a great card. I have a 1060 and a 2700X and it plays every game I throw at it just fine and your GPU is better than mine so.. No worries about if it'll work with and AMD CPU. It will. :)

As for the RAM, you'll definitely want faster RAM as the Ryzen CPU's thrive on fast RAM. You'll also want to get x2 sticks so the RAM runs in whats called dual Channel Mode. (2x8GB sticks for example) For the 3700X (Sweet CPU) I'd suggest DDR4-3200 or faster. I have 16Gb g.skill flareX DDR4-3200 and its rock solid. However, if $ is a factor, you could buy another 16Gb stick, but be sure it's the same RAM as you have now so the speeds are identical.

A good solid (low cost) mobo would be on the B450 chipset.

You are correct about Windows.

Whats your overall Budget?

Reactions: irishfro
Your gtx 1070 will work fine with AMD CPU but you wont get the full potential of the cpu with this GPU. Your ram is DDR4 and compatible BUT its only a single dim and 2400mhz. To get the maximum performance of Ryzen you need dual channel and minimum 3200Mhz ram. To get the maximum performance out of 3000 series ryzen is to get a 3600Mhz kit. If you want a good motherboard that is out of the box compatible and dont want to pay the premium for the extra features like pci-e 4.0 then look for MSI MAX motherboards MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is a very good motherboard for the price. Personally i have my windows key linked to my microsoft account and when i install windows again with new mobo i pressed i dont have a key inserted my account and after the installitation the windows was activated.

Reactions: irishfro
Solution
Sep 16, 2019
Hi Irishfro,

That 1070 is a great card. I have a 1060 and a 2700X and it plays every game I throw at it just fine and your GPU is better than mine so.. No worries about if it'll work with and AMD CPU. It will. :)

As for the RAM, you'll definitely want faster RAM as the Ryzen CPU's thrive on fast RAM. You'll also want to get x2 sticks so the RAM runs in whats called dual Channel Mode. (2x8GB sticks for example) For the 3700X (Sweet CPU) I'd suggest DDR4-3200 or faster. I have 16Gb g.skill flareX DDR4-3200 and its rock solid. However, if $ is a factor, you could buy another 16Gb stick, but be sure it's the same RAM as you have now so the speeds are identical.

A good solid (low cost) mobo would be on the B450 chipset.

You are correct about Windows.

Whats your overall Budget?
I've been quoted 440,000 won (like 400USD) for the 3700x and another 90,000won (75USD) for mobo but didn't think about getting RAM at the time of the quote. prices here in korea are pretty high for CPU right now and also if i try to ship from usa i get hit with customs tax unless I ship it to my parents house in usa then have them ship it here, but more banging around which i dont want. I'm looking to spend under 500$ total if its possible but might have to splurge to get some new ram

Sep 16, 2019
Your gtx 1070 will work fine with AMD CPU but you wont get the full potential of the cpu with this GPU. Your ram is DDR4 and compatible BUT its only a single dim and 2400mhz. To get the maximum performance of Ryzen you need dual channel and minimum 3200Mhz ram. To get the maximum performance out of 3000 series ryzen is to get a 3600Mhz kit. If you want a good motherboard that is out of the box compatible and dont want to pay the premium for the extra features like pci-e 4.0 then look for MSI MAX motherboards MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is a very good motherboard for the price. Personally i have my windows key linked to my microsoft account and when i install windows again with new mobo i pressed i dont have a key inserted my account and after the installitation the windows was activated.
Thanks for the reply man. I'll do some more research about new RAM. I actually just tried going into settings>accounts > log in with microsoft. Logged in and now if i go to settings > update+security>activation the option to link product key to windows account is gone so I think my account and key are linked now.

Reactions: stefanos50

TRENDING THREADS