[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU on a tight budget, wondering if it's worth it.

aneeb

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello everyone, currently i'm running an i3-4160 with a GTX 1050ti, however I've been noticing the CPU struggling so I've decided to upgrade to an i5-4670.

Since I'm in a third world country and on an extremely tight budget, this is all I can go for. My questions are:

1. Is the upgrade worth it? Will I see a noticeable improvement in games (5-10 fps)/general workload since I'm under the suspicion that my CPU is a bottleneck.

2. Is there any other CPU that would be better suited, please keep in mind I cannot afford to replace my motherboard so it would have to be on the 1150 socket.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your answers. Cheers.

Solution
Yes, you will notice the difference from the extra cores, cache, and clock speed.

Ideally an I7 4770 would be a better upgrade, if you can afford it.

aneeb

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Yes, you will notice the difference from the extra cores, cache, and clock speed.

Ideally an I7 4770 would be a better upgrade, if you can afford it.

Thank you. I'll try to look around and see if I can find one in a reasonable price.

Would you happen to know how much of an increase I can expect or is there some way for me to find out for myself? I mostly use my PC for video games.

If you do upgrade your CPU, really weigh the cost against a new CPU/MOBO/RAM build. For whatever reason old CPUs prices are insanely high even though a low end modern i5 or Ryzen 5 will out perform top tier older chips. You can also use that to try and talk down the price as long as the person you are dealing with is reasonable, which a lot of computer part sellers aren't (at least here in the US)

As far as performance boost, its hard to say specifics but there should be noticeable increase from the i3 to a i5 or i7.