Question Upgrading CPU or GPU for frame stability and overall frame rate?

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
I have an Intel i5-6500 quadcore 3.2 GHz, a GTX 1060 3GB memory and 16GB of dual sticks RAM. My CPU usage while playing ARK is above 70%, I’m not getting stable frames while on the lowest possible settings. Even if I get 80 FPS the game feels choppy, in some areas I get 30-50 frames that are even more choppy it’s gross and I’m looking to know if it would be a smarter idea to get a better graphics card or getting a better CPU would fix my FPS choppyness/stuttering.

I’m getting about 80-110 frames on certain areas but there’s still stuttering where there’s like a split second freezing.

I can provide a DXDIAG report if needed. I also have MSI afterburner and rivaturner if I should post those stats somehow.

Last edited:

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
You have a good cpu for that range of gpu, 70% of usage is fine. I would change the GPU, but your situation does not convince me, because you say that even if you are doing 80 feels choppy. The problem could be another :(

icedog

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
i also recommend you to buy a new gpu like a 1070 or 1660 ti it pretty much comes to the price to choose which one.
The thing about 80 frames feels choppy could be like if you have a old moniter or maybe your gpu or even another thing that i dont know but i am just giving you my thoughts.

WildCard999

Titan
Reactions: Mastropomodoro

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
What monitor do you have and which cable are you using?

I run my games around 70 FPS and it was stuttery even though the FPS was smooth. The fix was changing the HDMI to Displayport.

Also if your monitor is Freesync then you can get that to work with that GPU by following these steps (you'll still need a Displayport cable).
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html
I'm currently using this monitor https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-I...00IEZGW8C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 and HDMI, god I hope my issue would be fixed with an $8 cable instead of purchasing a $300 graphics card or CPU

70% cpu usage doesn’t tell you much, it only takes one core at 100% to limit performance even if other cores are sitting idle. What is the usage on each core when the FPS drops happen?

Another thing you can do is a test. Drop the resolution and see if your FPS goes up and the dips disappear. If the dips remain the cpu is most likely the limiting factor, if the FPS improves overall then the gpu is most likely the limiting factor.

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
70% cpu usage doesn’t tell you much, it only takes one core at 100% to limit performance even if other cores are sitting idle. What is the usage on each core when the FPS drops happen?

Another thing you can do is a test. Drop the resolution and see if your FPS goes up and the dips disappear. If the dips remain the cpu is most likely the limiting factor, if the FPS improves overall then the gpu is most likely the limiting factor.
Thanks! I’ve never heard of this test before and I’m excited to try it out, I tend to play on 1080P, how low should I drop the resolution to?

Thanks! I’ve never heard of this test before and I’m excited to try it out, I tend to play on 1080P, how low should I drop the resolution to?
Try something like 720p or 1024x768. This works by significantly reducing the GPU load, this allows the gpu to try and output more fps. If the gpu cannot output more fps then something else is limiting performance which is often then cpu.

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Try something like 720p or 1024x768. This works by significantly reducing the GPU load, this allows the gpu to try and output more fps. If the gpu cannot output more fps then something else is limiting performance which is often then cpu.

1080P

720P https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198151088114/screenshots/

The FPS would fluctuate but they'd be around the same, each would drop about 15-20 FPS if I look around in this area I'm assuming this is a part of the dips and they both dip.

Last edited: