Upgrading cpu & ram from current mobo

andyb313

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Its time to upgrade my pc but i need a little help. I use it for gaming and video editing but the current set up is struggling with video editing and the set up is as follows
Asus z87 pro mobo
16gb ddr4 ram
i5 4670k cpu (overclocked)
GTX1080 gpu

Now im comfortable building the pc again but unsure on parts that are compatible.

I basically want the best cpu i can buy currently. and maybe a ram upgrade to DDR5 (32gb). Will my current mobo work or will i have to buy new cpu ram mobo & cpu cooler?

I run a 3 monitor set up. My pc was originally built for gaming but i now do alot of work in premiere and after effects

Thanks in advance guys!

Solution
The best CPU you can have is a 4790k (make sure you update your bios BEFORE REMOVING your current CPU or the 4790k won't work) you don't have ddr4 ram you have ddr3 ram, and you can't change to anything else.

If you're willing to spend the kind of money you're talking about I'd suggest something like a fill change to a ryzen r7 1700, b350 motherboard, 32gb actual ddr4 ram.

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

you wont be able to do much better than you are now with the motherboard you have. the only better cpu you could get is a i7 4790k and as far as the ram you say you would like ddr5 ram but that is only in gpus, and say you have ddr4 ram but the motherboard you have only supports ddr3 ram... I would suggest a full rebuild and go for a amd cpu with lots of cores and ddr4 ram if yo are using alot of premiere

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The best CPU you can have is a 4790k (make sure you update your bios BEFORE REMOVING your current CPU or the 4790k won't work) you don't have ddr4 ram you have ddr3 ram, and you can't change to anything else.

If you're willing to spend the kind of money you're talking about I'd suggest something like a fill change to a ryzen r7 1700, b350 motherboard, 32gb actual ddr4 ram.

Solution