Build Advice Upgrading CPU/RAM/Mother board, what are some suggestions?

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I made the same post 5 months ago, but the plan took a slight detour and I was forced to wait a little. So in the theme of tech changing so fast, I'll make another to be more certain on the purchase. I have $1000 give or take to make a sizable upgrade from my DDR3 RAM, Mobo, and i5-4690k to DDR4. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, let me know if more info more info is needed, and thank you in advance if I personally forget to do so!

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
CPU: i7 8700 ($300).
Mobo: MSI Z390 Pro ($150). Can go up to i9 9900K.
GPU: RTX2060 ($350).
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x8) 16GB DDR4 ($80).
Total: $880.
Around $900 with shipping etc.

You can save ~$300 by going with a mainstream mobo (B360s go for $100), an i5 8400 ($200) and lastly; an RX580 ($230).

Hope it helps.

You've waited this long, might as well wait another week and see what ryzen 3xxx brings. Leaks are fairly promising. If the leaks hold truth the 3600/x should match if not beat the 9700k, with higher end skus like the 37/38/3900x rivaling the 9900k in both single and multi core. And basically make i5 even less desirable.

I've been an Intel fan for awhile now, but these new chips will more than likely have me switch next summer.

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Leaks are fairly promising.

om2s21m60j531.png

I'm sorry but I HAD to post this distasteful meme, mate!

:p

AMD has a long history of making its user base disappointed, and the Radeon 7 is the latest example, in all honesty.

My point is; don't count on rumors whether it's Intel, Nvidia, AMD or Apple. You'll likely end up disappointed.

Personal experience!

InvalidError

Titan
AMD has a long history of making its user base disappointed, and the Radeon 7 is the latest example, in all honesty.
While Radeon VII was disappointing, everyone was hoping that Navi would bring some sanity back to mid-range GPU pricing then AMD decided to price itself out of the market by charging over $100 more for Vega56/64-class performance. Then Nvidia swooped in and messed up AMD's plans some more by launching RTX-S that roughly pushes its entire product stack one price point down, making the 5700/5700XT non-starters at their announced launch prices before they even launch.

This is going to be awkward for AMD.

Reactions: Veloci

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
You've waited this long, might as well wait another week and see what ryzen 3xxx brings. Leaks are fairly promising. If the leaks hold truth the 3600/x should match if not beat the 9700k, with higher end skus like the 37/38/3900x rivaling the 9900k in both single and multi core. And basically make i5 even less desirable.

I've been an Intel fan for awhile now, but these new chips will more than likely have me switch next summer.
I've only used Intel, so sticking with them despite the price seems worth it. Haven't the slightest clue with AMD stuff, guess we'll see if its up to par. But If it turns out it isn't then would you say the i9-9700 is about what I'm looking for in an upgrade to get it around $1000 (including Mobo and RAM, maybe a new keyboard or so) or something else?

InvalidError

Titan
I've only used Intel, so sticking with them despite the price seems worth it.
I might be willing to pay a 10% premium for my preferred brand of something but at 40-60% more between Intel and AMD equivalent performance if leaks are accurate, I can't imagine the Intel premium being 'worth it' by any measure unless reviewers or security researchers discover show-stopping issues.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss