Question Upgrading cpu should i upgrade motherboard too?

erniskunkys

Commendable
Feb 10, 2019
I got a gtx 1060 6gb a few months back and was not getting frames I was supposed to then realised that my cpu was bottlenecking it and people told me to upgrade my cpu if I want better frames so I was thinking of upgrading my cpu to like a ryzen 5 2600 and will i need to upgrade my motherboard for this upgrade? And what kind of motherboard would you reccomend at a reasonable price?

Specs:
Motherboard: ASROCK H61M-HVS
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: I5-3450
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: HERCULES PRO 580

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't get the 2600 unless you plan on upgrading the GPU in about 2yrs.

Because the 2600 is kind of overkill for a 1060.

Also, you'll need 3000mhz or faster ram to utilize a Ryzen CPU's performance potential properly.

Dual Channel of course. Not single stick.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Ryzen 5 2600/2600X (and motherboard) will be a great upgrade. Very popular right now. You'll need new DDR4 memory and a B450/X470 motherboard if you plan to OC. The GTX 1060 will really be able to stretch its legs, and you'll have plenty of CPU headroom for a future gfx card upgrade.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Sorry, can't say I'd agree with that. 2700X would be overkill. 2600 would be just right to handle every game. We all know those games that aren't optimized worth a crap.
Not in regards to being paired with a 1060. Because the 1060 is going to hold back the CPU utilization, so either a cheaper 1st gen Ryzen 5 chip, or the Ryzen 3 2200G with it being quad core and you just overclock it a tiny bit and it's all you'll need.

While I personally would agree that spending the extra bit of money on the 2600 is worth it for when you do upgrade the graphics card, when it comes to trying to buy what's good for the GPU the OP has now, and with them not having that great of a budget, it makes more sense to get something that pairs more evenly with a 1060.

That's what I was saying.

The 2200G will bottleneck the GTX 1060 in games like Battlefield 1 and V multiplayer as well as Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. Not bad, but it will.

*If someone was wanting the Ryzen 3 2200G to pair with the GTX 1060 then I would say yes it's fine. But I wouldn't tell them to downgrade from 2600 to 2200G because I know there are some limitations of the 2200G that won't allow full utilization of the GTX 1060 in certain games.

Last edited: