Upgrading CPU to i7 4790

My computer specs:
-i5 4460 3.20GHz
-MSI GTX 970 4GB
-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 2x4GB Dual Channel 8GB kit
-1920x1080 LG monitor
-500w Corsair CX Bronze
-1TB WCD Hard drive
-ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard (Socket 1150)
-Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi community

I would like to get the communities input on if i should get the basic stock i7 4790 3.60GHz or the i7 4790K 4.0GHZ also they both have pretty good boost clocks. I'm not going to overclock but why is the K version got a higher clock speed than the basic stock i7?

Also would i see a major improvements in my games, mostly like Fallout 4, Killing Floor 2 and Mad Max? Fallout 4 runs good but in cities it goes near to 80-90% usage at 50-60 Celsius in so starts lagging a bit due to usage, also i'm not running ultra just like ultra preset with the special effects off and shadows medium, with light shafts off. It may do with bugs but they have patched it a bit now so i have gained some much needed performance.

I really want to stop my computer being CPU bottle-necked in games, well i say bottle-necked its more its get to such a high percent in some games and i loose frames.

Will it be worth the upgrade, i'm hoping it will be.

Regards

Rockets13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
your cpu should not be bottlenecking your pc. Maybe look into all of the parts of your pc and see what can be causing the problem. If you really want to change it look into the Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor. Its a good cpu and shouldn't bottleneck.

Ye but underclocked means it will be less powerful than the i7 4790 I'm looking at...why would I go for an underclocked one?

Also my motherboard has the correct socket 1150 so how do I check bios to see if I can run the CPU... it though it would off worked out of the box with my board.

I found this from my motherboard manufacturers site:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-z97-anniversary-intel-z97-s1150-ddr3-pcie-30-(x16)-hdmi-atx and the motherboards CPU support list shows it works with practically any Intel socket 1150 CPU.

So what is the absolutely best CPU I can get for my board, probably an i7? I have seen posts asking the same question and most say get Sky-Lake when released and I don't keep up with CPU releases so I don't know anything about those, like would a Sky-Lake fit in my motherboard??

Regards

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
i had a 4790, firestrike cpu score was i believe 10900, your i5 will get around 6-7000, but you wont see the difference unless you render etc, but if youre gonna stream games, the i7 is deffo an upgrade. wish i didnt break my i7, im stuck with a 4690k now.

Well that is all well and good but I'm looking for a CPU that can handle the most intensive games like fallout 4 when in the big city when enemies are trying to kill me and I'm firing mini nukes causing enemies to go flying which is what the CPU is in control off. My i5 isn't strong enough to keep up with Fallout 4 in the intensive areas.

I also get the same usage on Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 and AC Syndicate.

Would the i7 4790 breeze through my games? Which is what I want from a CPU, I want to game and not worry about usage or fps.

Regards

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
i5s are generally better or gaming, an i7 will not benefit you for gaming, it just simply wont.

i had a 4790 and now a 4690k, i play battlefield 4, i always get gpu usage spikes and thats because of the cpu, it has occured on both cpus, the games you play are demanding and a couple of them arent the best optimized, keep the i5.

I think I will get the i7 4790 as I want the best power I can get ready for all of 2016's games. I would really like to get an SSD.. i wonder if there is a way to move my windows from my hard drive to an SSD. Then run the pc normally without windows getting confused.

How is it the Xeon 1231v3 better than my current CPU over the i7 4790. I'm not looking for a budget answer to my CPU problem, I'm looking for the fastest CPU for my slot so I don't have to worry about my CPU for a loooong while.

I have no problem with paying that little bit more for the better option.

Also the Xeon has no integrated graphics over the i7 4790 having one, which is good to have if I have problems with my graphics card in the future for whatever reason and I need to switch to integrated for a bit, its nice to have a back up for video displaying.

TRENDING THREADS