shreky_techy

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003
i am upgrading my com into a semi-decent game machine but i have a lowly intel p2 450mhz cpu. and i don't have the money to get a new com so i was looking at evergreen (http://www.evergreennow.com) cpu upgrades. do these things really work? i'm currently looking at the Performa 1.4GHz, 1.2GHz and 1.0GHz cpu grades. should i even bother getting the 1.4GHz or 1.2GHz ones? i mean my com wasn't designed for this so will i really notice any differences in performance with a 1.4GHz or 1.2GHz versus the 1GHz upgrade?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Don't know to much about your system other than CPU. I'm gonna take a guess that its a BX board with PC100 sdram and a free 2xagp slot. If thats right and you got 256 or more mem, you could throw a cheap but good ti4200 in there and the p2450 CPU would be your bottle neck as far as gaming goes. so a 1.2 or 1.4 celeron or evergreen would close the gap or bottle neck. I know you can also get slot1 converter cards in order to add the celeron to your board.

Whatever you do I would not recomend sinking any real money into this system.
Goodluck

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I checked out your evergreen link and it looks like a ripoff to me (very expensive) for what you get.

Take a look at this link
http://plpadmin.tempdomainname.com/PLiP3T.html

I have one it's new never been used still in the box with all instructions. All you need is a celeron 1.2 - 1.4
now take a look at this link
http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=343&manufactory=1157&description=&srchFor=celeron

If you have a BX board there is a very good chance what I'm saying will work. (ABSOLUTLY NO GARUNTEES)..

Anyhow if you have a BX board and want to try this you can have my never been used still in the box PL-P3/T slot1 converter free (yes free but no complaints if it don't work) Just send a box with prepaid postage back to your house and I'll mail it to ya. Its just collecting dust here.

Just so ya know I flashed my board with a bad bios weeks before using the converter and wrecked the bx board and never tried the converter.

Let me know if you want it.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

How little cash are we talking here? You can get a very decent Athlon XP + mobo at a very decent price. I'd recommend that over trying to upgrade that old Slot 1 PII... you'll definately get more mileage out of the Athlon.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
(Agreement) You'll also need memory if you go this route, but you can go from your current setup to a modern, mid-range performing Athlon for less than $200. Vid card another $80. Probably around $250 if you shop around. Don't know how that hits your wallet, but I wouldn't put any more money into you current setup. It's time has passed.

Where there's a will, there's a way-even when it comes to screwing up.