Question Upgrading CPU

Honeybun54

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
My current setup is Ryzen 5 2400G, MSI B450 Bazooka V2, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB), and Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB.
I am looking into getting a new CPU, preferably something more than 4 cores. Right now the CPU and GPU seem to be a perfect pair with little to no bottlenecking. What CPU would you recommend that would preform better without bottlenecking too much?

Aug 18, 2019
Budget isn't an issue then go for Ryzen 9 3900x your motherboard can support 3rd gen by updating the bios through MSI website, that'll suffice your needs speaking of performance it's really good 16 cores and with 32 threads and 72mb of cache so multi-tasking, content creation, gaming, video editing and more. it will do much you better.

Budget isn't an issue then go for Ryzen 9 3900x your motherboard can support 3rd gen by updating the bios through MSI website, that'll suffice your needs speaking of performance it's really good 16 cores and with 32 threads and 72mb of cache so multi-tasking, content creation, gaming, video editing and more. it will do much you better.
3900x is 12 cores and 24 threads and would be completely overkill most likely. This is coming from a person typing on a3900x comp. at most I would recommend a 3700x just be aware that you will need to flash bios to the newest version to be compatible with Ryzen 3000 cpus. What do you primarily use your computer for?

Kastytis

Prominent
Jul 3, 2019
Well he said budget is not an issue so I provided a better option, 3900x may be an overkill at least with that power you can do much more, so if you money is not an issue why limit yourself right?
Why spend more money if you won't be utilizing those extra cores and threads? You can just go for 3700x and save the rest. It should suffice for ~3 years without issues and after that he might be able to upgrade to Ryzen 4th Gen 12/16 core at a lower price since they will be ~2 years old already or upgrade straight to a new platform if he so chooses.
Edit: he could use that money to upgrade the GPU instead

Honeybun54

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
If you are having no problems, is there a reason to change out the cpu?

What is the main use for your pc?
Gaming, batch apps, or???

The main reason I am thinking of upgrading the cpu is I do more than just gaming and find myself multi talking alot. I also stream videos to another monitor while working. I could be wrong but I was thinking a upgraded CPU with more cores would just help everything run more smooth.

Remeca

Reputable
You probably wouldn't notice a difference in day to day use between the 3700x or 3900x, unless you like benchmarking and bragging rights. If money isn't an issue though, I'd go for the 3900x just for long-term usage. Even then, the difference won't be big.

Honeybun54

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
Maybe. What do you have for a hard drive? What is your Internet connection like? What exactly needs to be smoother now?

I'm using ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
Internet connection is great with ethernet pulling like 200mbps
Smoother as in multitasking while playing a game, or streaming while having multiple programs open. It has frozen like once and has stutter a bit when multi talking. For example I play Forza Horizon 4 a lot and that with the xbox companion app will use about 100% of CPU and GPU

A game like Forza will use all of your CPU unless your video card is seriously holding you back. A CPU upgrade like the ones mentioned will give you a nice performance boost, I just want to caution you from expecting miracles For example, most higher-end games will use all CPU/GPU available, no matter how fast they are, assuming one isn't severely bottlenecking the other. So your game will still work fine, but there might still be a hiccup or two when doing other tasks at the same time.

The 3900X's 12 cores/24 threads are of little assistance/value for most games just yet. but are certainly great for editing/rendering, and in all apps that thrive on cores and threads.....

(The 3600 and 3700 are both popular for good reason, the extra 100 MHz of the X models' 1% boost in performance not typically deemed worth the $50-$75 price jump....; as each of these models rival/roughly match the 8700K in gaming, that's a nice place to be, and either will easily max (i.e., 99% saturate) an RX580

Aug 18, 2019
Why spend more money if you won't be utilizing those extra cores and threads? You can just go for 3700x and save the rest. It should suffice for ~3 years without issues and after that he might be able to upgrade to Ryzen 4th Gen 12/16 core at a lower price since they will be ~2 years old already or upgrade straight to a new platform if he so chooses.
Edit: he could use that money to upgrade the GPU instead

if money's not an issue why limit it? if you have the resources then go make your computer a future proof and enjoy the extra cores and threads.

Even for me if I have the resources why would I limit myself get the high-end CPU who knows sooner and later you might utilize it. it sounds nonsense but at least you have the good stuff to make it future proof.

But for us with limited budget we have a lot of things to consider just to get a CPU do we use these and that questions. with that we can see ourselves on what we can budget and save more.

If he mention that money is not an issue what's stopping him go get one.