[SOLVED] Upgrading CPU?

Rmckay3421

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
Should I upgrade my 6700k for 1440p? I just upgraded to 2070s. I'm upgrading my 144Hz 1080p monitor to a 1440p 144Hz. Think that CPU can hack it? I have it stable at 4.6 Ghz. And there's still some OCing head room.

Solution
The intel 10th gen processor release was needed to combat the ryzen success.
They are better price/performers than the 9th gen processors and have higher single core performance.
That is still the strength of Intel for gamers.
If one is going to buy new intel today, 10th gen is better than 9th,

However, change is on the horizon.
Rumors are that amd will offer an updated ryzen in the fall, and Intel will respond.
The big thing will be the IPC improvements, if any.
Intel has shown some 18% ipc improvement in mobile processors with the new architecture.
The question is if it will be on a 14 or 10nm process.
Since 14nm is more mature, one can expect a higher clock rate to be available initially so that might be one option vs. 10nm.

On...
The intel 10th gen processor release was needed to combat the ryzen success.
They are better price/performers than the 9th gen processors and have higher single core performance.
That is still the strength of Intel for gamers.
If one is going to buy new intel today, 10th gen is better than 9th,

However, change is on the horizon.
Rumors are that amd will offer an updated ryzen in the fall, and Intel will respond.
The big thing will be the IPC improvements, if any.
Intel has shown some 18% ipc improvement in mobile processors with the new architecture.
The question is if it will be on a 14 or 10nm process.
Since 14nm is more mature, one can expect a higher clock rate to be available initially so that might be one option vs. 10nm.

On the amd side there may or may not be a big ipc change.

Both will tout pcie 4.0 but since there are no parts today that can benefit from 4.0, I see that as mostly marketing for a while.

All this comes down to buy what you need from available products when you need it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS