Discussion upgrading current gaming rig discussion

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I built my first pc back in january of this year. My build is primarily just for gaming. I went with a ryzen 5 3600, asus x570 tuf (for upgrading capability), rtx 2060 super, 16 gb of corsair vengeance 3200 mhz ram cl16, 650 watt seasonic 80 plus gold psu, cooler master hyper evo 212 rgb cpu air cooler, 1 tb ssd kingston sata3. I prefer to game at 1080 with high refresh rate. I have an hp omen 240hz monitor. Now with the next gen consoles and next zen architecture for cpus coming out by the end of 2020, what, if at all would I be looking to upgrade? A lot of youtube videos and articles i have read claim the next gen consoles will actually be ahead of pc gaming in regards to the hardware they will have. I would also like to know if i did have to upgrade, what would be more beneficial, that way i can start planning and budgeting for upgrades.

I built my first pc back in january of this year. My build is primarily just for gaming. I went with a ryzen 5 3600, asus x570 tuf (for upgrading capability), rtx 2060 super, 16 gb of corsair vengeance 3200 mhz ram cl16, 650 watt seasonic 80 plus gold psu, cooler master hyper evo 212 rgb cpu air cooler, 1 tb ssd kingston sata3. I prefer to game at 1080 with high refresh rate. I have an hp omen 240hz monitor. Now with the next gen consoles and next zen architecture for cpus coming out by the end of 2020, what, if at all would I be looking to upgrade? A lot of youtube videos and articles i have read claim the next gen consoles will actually be ahead of pc gaming in regards to the hardware they will have. I would also like to know if i did have to upgrade, what would be more beneficial, that way i can start planning and budgeting for upgrades.
CPU wise the Ryzen 5 3600 and the next gen consoles have the same Zen 2 architecture, the only difference is the consoles are 8c/16t vs the 3600's 6c/12t. Right now there is no reason to change the CPU. On the GPU from the consoles are going to have something along the lines of a 5700XT or a bit faster. Your 2060 Super while slower than the 5700XT is at least close enough in performance to be good. Where you are going to be a good bit slower is on the SSD performance. Both the Xbox and PS have NVMe SSDs that are able to push 2GB/sec of data vs 550MB/sec of your SATA3. In all honesty the massive increase in storage performance is going to help consoles and computer gaming the most. All games are still designed to be run on HDD since that is the lowest common thing among computer and current consoles. With the consoles going NVMe it will allow developers to focus on that storage. Currently the HDD is so slow that games have multiple copies of items so that they can be loaded quickly. With the NVMe SSD those multiple copies are going to be a single copy with all duplicate items nothing more than a link to the single copy since the SSD is that much faster.

Reactions: Alex Chapa
CPU wise the Ryzen 5 3600 and the next gen consoles have the same Zen 2 architecture, the only difference is the consoles are 8c/16t vs the 3600's 6c/12t. Right now there is no reason to change the CPU. On the GPU from the consoles are going to have something along the lines of a 5700XT or a bit faster. Your 2060 Super while slower than the 5700XT is at least close enough in performance to be good. Where you are going to be a good bit slower is on the SSD performance. Both the Xbox and PS have NVMe SSDs that are able to push 2GB/sec of data vs 550MB/sec of your SATA3. In all honesty the massive increase in storage performance is going to help consoles and computer gaming the most. All games are still designed to be run on HDD since that is the lowest common thing among computer and current consoles. With the consoles going NVMe it will allow developers to focus on that storage. Currently the HDD is so slow that games have multiple copies of items so that they can be loaded quickly. With the NVMe SSD those multiple copies are going to be a single copy with all duplicate items nothing more than a link to the single copy since the SSD is that much faster.

So, fortunately those of us that chose the x570 route have this exact capability with PCIE 4.0.

Many people said there was no need for 4.0 in the next few years. The consoles are actually a step ahead of PC hardware.

Anyone with the x570 motherboard has PCIE 4.0, including the Asus TUF. You just need a 4.0 NVME storage device.

I just ran 3DMark's PCIE Bandwidth Test, got 13.9 GB/Second.

http://www.3dmark.com/pcie/84616

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Chapa