s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello everyone,

so this is my current pc : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vQL7X

i want to upgrade some parts to make it better until the market prices settle back down to normal levels and i get the latest parts and better ones.
I use the pc all day for work , gaming on 1080p 144hz(mainly fps), movies etc. i don't edit or photoshop or anything such.

i don't wanna spend much right now since i can sell at a good price my current cpu motherboard and ram kit and get the new ones.

i bought a MSI z490 A pro which i found at 120 euro and i'm planning on getting a 10400f (around 125euro) or 10600k if i can get a decent deal.

my questions are:
  1. should i get an M2 NVME ssd (250gb) to install windows and programs (not games etc) or should i just stick to my sata ssd until i get a whole new pc ?
  2. will the power supply i currently have work with my new cpu and motherboard or do i need a new power supply as well ?
When i check for compatibility on pcpartpicker the following message appears

"The MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMi 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it. "

is this an issue?
3. should i get 3200 cl14 or 3600 cl16 ram kit ? i know samsung b-die is the best one that's why i'm asking about these. i got a z490 in case i find a good unlocked processor to pair it with and since i will upgrade the 2400mhz ram eventually i might as well get much higher frequencies since i can use them on any new pc later on.

this is the final build which shows the compatibility notes https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RrCCkX

feel free to make suggestions and state your opinions

Thanks in advance

Solution
To answer your questions:

1) If 240gb of your current ssd is sufficient, by all means keep it.
You will not notice any significant difference with a pcie m.2 device.
Most of what windows does is small random i/o and that is remarkably similar in performance across all ssd types.

2) Your psu is fine. The extra 4 pin eps socket on the motherboard is used to give added capability to the cpu socket for overclocking and also to be able to run a second graphics card in sli. Really not needed, and your psu is plenty strong enough to use a 4 pin eps adapter cable if a future need presents itself.

3) 2400 speed is fine. Unlike ryzen, intel does not depend on fast ram for performance.
Here is an older study...
There's a reason why 10400F is much cheaper than 10600K.. and to call upgrade an UPGRADE, I would go with 10600K. Yes, you will notice performance increase (compared to 6600K) in both cases, but as long term solution, I would be ready to pay price difference (if wallet allows).
I won't suggest to wait for next-gen Intel CPU's. Reason being, from what I've read, I don't expect that much performance increase, and prices will be higher -to my understanding you're looking for budget friendly solution.

NVMe SSD is nice to have, of course. But as you already have SATA SSD, I would wait with NVMe (having budget in mind). Yes, there's quite a speed difference between SATA and NVMe, but that difference isn't that much noticeable in everyday use . Save money for 10600K -you can (and will) buy NVMe in future.

Your power supply is excellent and missing 4-pin power connector shouldn't be a problem with 10600K in my opinion.
Just go with (cheaper, I assume) DDR4 3200 because speed difference in everyday use is not noticeable. I mean, that's what I would do.
About using RAM in future.. Upgrade you're making right now should last for at least 4-5 years and at that time upcoming DDR5 will already be on market. Means, whatever RAM you buy now, you probably won't use it in your next PC.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Reactions: Dj0gany
There's a reason why 10400F is much cheaper than 10600K.. and to call upgrade an UPGRADE, I would go with 10600K. Yes, you will notice performance increase (compared to 6600K) in both cases, but as long term solution, I would be ready to pay price difference (if wallet allows).
I won't suggest to wait for next-gen Intel CPU's. Reason being, from what I've read, I don't expect that much performance increase, and prices will be higher -to my understanding you're looking for budget friendly solution.

NVMe SSD is nice to have, of course. But as you already have SATA SSD, I would wait with NVMe (having budget in mind). Yes, there's quite a speed difference between SATA and NVMe, but that difference isn't that much noticeable in everyday use . Save money for 10600K -you can (and will) buy NVMe in future.

Your power supply is excellent and missing 4-pin power connector shouldn't be a problem with 10600K in my opinion.
Just go with (cheaper, I assume) DDR4 3200 because speed difference in everyday use is not noticeable. I mean, that's what I would do.
About using RAM in future.. Upgrade you're making right now should last for at least 4-5 years and at that time upcoming DDR5 will already be on market. Means, whatever RAM you buy now, you probably won't use it in your next PC.

Prices of 10th gen might drop with the launch of 11th,who knows with todays market...

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Your psu is really good, no need to change that.
I wouldnt upgrade the cpu until we see what Rocket Lake 11th gen cpu's have to offer.
So stick with your pc for about a month more,and we will see whats up then.

I need to upgrade now because I won't find such a good deal to sell my current mobo+cpu and I don't have a budget yet for a 11th gen top tier set.

I get why there is such a difference but as I mentioned to the previous fella I have a really good offer for my current set and I will only add 40€ to get the z490+ 10400f.
Reason is that I found the cpu at 130 and the cheapest 10600k is 200€(ad not currently available at that price). And i don't have the budget right now to get 10600k nor can I wait without a pc(since I'm selling these parts) due to lock down in my country and I can only get parts by mail service.

And thats the reason that I went this path. That I can sell my old set and with only 40€ more I can get 10th gen. I know the 10400f has limits but maybe I can get a 10600k or 10700k in a year or so if I get a good deal and maybe even a decent gpu .
After 1-2 years I will have a really good budget to get whatever feels like better at that time since the market prices will have probably settled back to normal .

As for ram the prices are 85€ at the lowest end and go way way up. Difference between 3200 cl14 and 3600 cl16 is maybe 10€ but I don't know if I should look for a Samsung b-die or if any (cheapest one)set will work as well.
( I can sell my current ram at 65€ more or less)

Other option i would go for is the 10700F.
2 more cores and 4 more threads would make it more future proof,but since you are mainly gaming, you wont see a decision making difference in fps between the i5 and i7.
Also 20$ cheaper than 10600K currently on newegg.
10700f is a no go. At least at the monet since the cheapest one i ca find is at 280€

To answer your questions:

1) If 240gb of your current ssd is sufficient, by all means keep it.
You will not notice any significant difference with a pcie m.2 device.
Most of what windows does is small random i/o and that is remarkably similar in performance across all ssd types.

2) Your psu is fine. The extra 4 pin eps socket on the motherboard is used to give added capability to the cpu socket for overclocking and also to be able to run a second graphics card in sli. Really not needed, and your psu is plenty strong enough to use a 4 pin eps adapter cable if a future need presents itself.

3) 2400 speed is fine. Unlike ryzen, intel does not depend on fast ram for performance.
Here is an older study:

What you are getting with a i5-10400f is 12 threads and a slightly better single thread performance.
Not a bad upgrade.
To compare processors, look at their passmark performance ratings.
I5-6600K has 4 threads and a total rating of 6278. That is when all 4 threads are 100% busy.
The single thread rating is 2333 which is arguably the more important metric for gamers.
The i5-10400F has 12 threads and a rating of 12502/2588.
I presume you are trying to buy used.
Most Z490 based motherboards will get a bios update that will run 11th gen intel processors.
If you are buying new, it is looking like the rocket lake chips will have a single thread boost of some 19% IPC.
That is big if you are a gamer.
I might wait for March 15 if you are buying new to see what they bring.

Solution