[SOLVED] Upgrading current pc

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
(sorry if this is in the wrong section)

I've been saving some money for a while to upgrade some components in my setup currently:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JobsforFun/saved/#view=B2cL99

Currently have $1,886 saved planning to go to $2,000

I've been looking at upgrading my GPU, cpu, motherboard and ram as needed the GPU being the primary thing I hope to eventually be able to do once the market settles (deciding between the amd 6800xt and 6900xt). My CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz. Far as cpu upgrades if it would even be worth it I was thinking of going to a ryzen and getting some more ram for it either get a faster 16GB or go to 32GB. Most intensive thing I use my PC for is gaming don't stream or anything of the sort.

Once I get a better GPU I was also thinking of upgrading my main 1080p 144hz display to a high refresh rate 1440p or 2k don't really know. Also would need better monitor arms for a larger display. But I can wait for that, upgrading my pc is more important for the moment

If anyone has any opinions on what the best course for me would be let me know. Don't know if it is worth upgrading my CPU or not yet also could upgrade some storage and get another larger Nvme for my main drive. Also aware I'd need to upgrade my psu.

Last edited:

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
I've not seen much on thoseintel cpus, are they better then ryzen so far? (haven't kept up much on the latest releases)

I've not seen much on thoseintel cpus, are they better then ryzen so far? (haven't kept up much on the latest releases)
As far as gaming goes they go head to head with the 5600x.

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
As far as gaming goes they go head to head with the 5600x.

Think It would be better to do it all at once or would it be fine doing cpu and mobo now then GPU later down the line? And would the newer Ryzen 9/7 series be worth it or no?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
If this is a long term purchase, a Ryzen 7 or 9 would make more sense than even the 6 core 5600x.
I agree. Many people don't ask a basic question when planning a build/upgrade. How long do you think it will last until the urge/need to upgrade again?
My guess is a 5600x will be fine for most gaming for at least 2-3 years. If you don't plan on a next upgrade in that time period,go with the 5600x and save some money.

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
I agree. Many people don't ask a basic question when planning a build/upgrade. How long do you think it will last until the urge/need to upgrade again?
My guess is a 5600x will be fine for most gaming for at least 2-3 years. If you don't plan on a next upgrade in that time period,go with the 5600x and save some money.
True, if at all possible I'd like to go for as long as I can before neededing to upgrade but don't want to go to crazy far as upgrades.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Honestly probably will be slightly more long time as I'm not entirely sure the next time I can upgrade will be. Regardless might aim for a Ryzen 7 over a 9 but not to sure yet
Ryzen 7 should give you plenty of breathing room until you need to upgrade again.
My bet is you would feel the need to upgrade the gpu/mobo or even the memory before you will want to upgrade from an 8 core to a 12 core....Provided you don't start getting heavily into programs that really take advantage of the extra cores. Heavy video editing,3d modeling,VMs,etc...

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
Ryzen 7 should give you plenty of breathing room until you need to upgrade again.
My bet is you would feel the need to upgrade the gpu/mobo or even the memory before you will want to upgrade from an 8 core to a 12 core....Provided you don't start getting heavily into programs that really take advantage of the extra cores. Heavy video editing,3d modeling,VMs,etc...
Should I look into faster ram or more ram for that matter? Don't know much about ryzen and ram but I know people say it enjoys faster ram.

JobsforFun

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
What is your reasoning for the 2TB $240 hybrid drive? Why not just a massive 4 TB spinner and another SSD? You will not notice a difference in gaming running from a SATA SSD and a M.2 SSD.
Yea I already have that in my rig at the time I needed more storage but couldn't swing an ssd and didn't want a hard drive. Totally did not realize the price of that went up so much I didn't pay that much for it.

Last edited:
(sorry if this is in the wrong section)

I've been saving some money for a while to upgrade some components in my setup currently:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JobsforFun/saved/#view=B2cL99

Currently have $1,886 saved planning to go to $2,000

I've been looking at upgrading my GPU, cpu, motherboard and ram as needed the GPU being the primary thing I hope to eventually be able to do once the market settles (deciding between the amd 6800xt and 6900xt). My CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz. Far as cpu upgrades if it would even be worth it I was thinking of going to a ryzen and getting some more ram for it either get a faster 16GB or go to 32GB. Most intensive thing I use my PC for is gaming don't stream or anything of the sort.

Once I get a better GPU I was also thinking of upgrading my main 1080p 144hz display to a high refresh rate 1440p or 2k don't really know. Also would need better monitor arms for a larger display. But I can wait for that, upgrading my pc is more important for the moment

If anyone has any opinions on what the best course for me would be let me know. Don't know if it is worth upgrading my CPU or not yet also could upgrade some storage and get another larger Nvme for my main drive. Also aware I'd need to upgrade my psu.
Bring it up in chunks.
Cpu....based on price shop for a 11600k.
That should give a nice bump in cpu muscle.

Mobo....pcpartpicker shows a few read the reviews on each.

Ram....keep what you have and monitor the page file.
If it stays quiet leave things alone.

Psu...bump that out 200/300w to prep for the gpu upgrade.

InvalidError

Titan
My guess is a 5600x will be fine for most gaming for at least 2-3 years.
I think most people who aren't gaming enthusiasts or power-users will get far more than three years of useful life out of a 5600X or 11400. I got nine years out of my i5-3470 and would have continued using it a while longer were it not for on-going shortages threatening to inflate most PC parts prices even more than they already have been.