[SOLVED] Upgrading current system to a bigger case - several questions

mikewochowski

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all, I'm looking at making some changes to my current build.
PCPartPicker Part List
Type​
Item​
Price​
CPU
$344.99 @ SuperBiiz​
CPU Cooler
$164.98 @ Amazon​
Motherboard
-​
Memory
$69.99 @ Newegg​
Storage
$57.99 @ Amazon​
Video Card
$798.99 @ Amazon​
Case
$98.98 @ Newegg​
Power Supply
$89.99 @ Newegg​
Monitor
$169.99 @ Amazon​
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates)​
$1815.90​
Mail-in rebates​
-$20.00​
Total
$1795.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 22:07 EST-0500​
I'm looking to transfer the system into a Meshify S2 (I've been really happy with the C) to allow for a little more room to expand for the future, currently the radiator is only 1-2mm away from touching the GPU.

With the move, I'd like to swap out the X52 for an X62 or X72. I've heard conflicting reports of which is better. The overall vibe seems to be the X72 has marginally better performance due to a slightly greater surface area, but is quite a bit louder due to having 3 120s vs the X62's 2 140s. Does anyone have any experience in this area? I'm leaning towards the X62 at the moment.

Currently I have the X52 front mounted as it was the only position it would fit, should I consider going top mounted in the bigger case?

Finally I was looking for some recommendations on fans to upgrade the Kraken's stock fans. I've read that the stock fans are quite good, but something like good Noctua's would be an upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with swapping out Kraken fans? I saw a few complaints that the CAM software wouldn't play nice with the new fans.

Finally after that case change, I'll be looking at upgrading the GPU next year, maybe to a 2080 if the announcement or release of the 30 series pushes them down at all. Would my current CPU be a bottleneck at all if I got a 2080? Should I be looking at upgrading the CPU at all? The i7-9700k looks to be good value, but doesn't seem like it would be much of an upgrade from the current CPU.

All input is appreciated, I'm still relatively new to all this. The current build is my first.

Solution
If you read that again, you will see, as I did, that those were the results WITH Guest mode on. It was not a logged in account. But that's totally you're business. I don't care either way I just like people to be aware of the risks or security concerns. When you agree to the NZXT CAM TOS you agree that they can use any information they extract in any way they see fit. Nobody else, not Corsair, Not Deepcool, Not Thermaltake, Not Cooler master, none of them that I am aware of have done anything as blatant as this. Again, you're informed, moving on.

While I am not technically much of a Thermaltake fan, honestly I don't care for them much as a company and I am not particularly fond of most of their products, this however seems to be cut...
Is your heart set on it being an NZXT cooler? Personally, for all hardware and accessories I've completely boycotted NZXT and removed all hardware I was previously using from all my systems except my Grid+ v2 which I am however using a third party solution to control the lighting. I will NOT use the CAM software anymore, and the fact that it is still about half buggy is only part of the reason.

You should REALLY read this. To this day, to the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed. I've continuously asked around and the consensus is there's been no change. The last time I had CAM installed, it was still doing the same thing.

https://support.camwebapp.com/forum...s/19538782-fully-offline-mode-for-cam-privacy

mikewochowski

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
Hi,

I am not 100% set on NZXT however I have been using the X52 for about a year now with no complaints. I read about the privacy concerns regarding the CAM software so I just never made an account and have been running in guest mode. I have been monitoring my uploads and downloads and it does not appear to be sending data like the concerns raised by many users, so I am happy with that workaround. The CAM software hasn't been buggy for me either.

That said, I am not set and if you have recommendations for an AIO that beats out the Kraken while still looking great I'll definitely look into them. Do you have any opinions on my other questions?

Last edited:
If you read that again, you will see, as I did, that those were the results WITH Guest mode on. It was not a logged in account. But that's totally you're business. I don't care either way I just like people to be aware of the risks or security concerns. When you agree to the NZXT CAM TOS you agree that they can use any information they extract in any way they see fit. Nobody else, not Corsair, Not Deepcool, Not Thermaltake, Not Cooler master, none of them that I am aware of have done anything as blatant as this. Again, you're informed, moving on.

While I am not technically much of a Thermaltake fan, honestly I don't care for them much as a company and I am not particularly fond of most of their products, this however seems to be cut from a different mold than the majority of what they pass of to consumers and feedback on it has been really good. Both the Floe Riing 360 and Water 3.0 360 have gotten nothing but excellent marks in every review I've looked at, and believe me, I've been looking for BAD reviews of these products because as I said, I don't particularly like Thermaltake. I can't find any, and the reviews are pretty conclusive that the products are excellent, for what they are anyhow. Obviously, even a half decent 280mm custom loop is going to blow doors but it's also a lot more expensive and time consuming at the least.

If you prefer a desktop user interface, then the Riing is probably the better of the two for you. If, like me, you prefer to set things in the BIOS and be done with it, then the Water 3.0 might be better and the test results at the second link here seem to indicate that the performance is somewhat better for it having been that way.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-360-tt-premium-cpu-cooler-review/index8.html

But there is no doubt that the NZXT products are good. I just wish they'd do away with the need for CAM or at the least, fire all their executives that are instructing the developers to bake these privacy concerns into the software. I suspect that MANY of the bugs CAM has had over the last three to four years have been largely due to imbuing it with what I consider to be on par with trojans or other malware in terms of being a security concern.

Technically, you can probably run any of the NZXT AIO's without CAM, but I haven't tried it, so I can't say for certain.

Solution

mikewochowski

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017

While I am not technically much of a Thermaltake fan, honestly I don't care for them much as a company and I am not particularly fond of most of their products, this however seems to be cut from a different mold than the majority of what they pass of to consumers and feedback on it has been really good. Both the Floe Riing 360 and Water 3.0 360 have gotten nothing but excellent marks in every review I've looked at, and believe me, I've been looking for BAD reviews of these products because as I said, I don't particularly like Thermaltake. I can't find any, and the reviews are pretty conclusive that the products are excellent, for what they are anyhow. Obviously, even a half decent 280mm custom loop is going to blow doors but it's also a lot more expensive and time consuming at the least.

If you prefer a desktop user interface, then the Riing is probably the better of the two for you. If, like me, you prefer to set things in the BIOS and be done with it, then the Water 3.0 might be better and the test results at the second link here seem to indicate that the performance is somewhat better for it having been that way.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8...-360-tt-premium-cpu-cooler-review/index8.html

But there is no doubt that the NZXT products are good. I just wish they'd do away with the need for CAM or at the least, fire all their executives that are instructing the developers to bake these privacy concerns into the software. I suspect that MANY of the bugs CAM has had over the last three to four years have been largely due to imbuing it with what I consider to be on par with trojans or other malware in terms of being a security concern.

Technically, you can probably run any of the NZXT AIO's without CAM, but I haven't tried it, so I can't say for certain.

Thanks, I'll definitely have a look at those Thermaltake's, the Riing looks quite nice aside from the software looking a little janky.