Upgrading Custom Firewall Setup

May 16, 2018
I'm in the process of upgrading my current setup, which is less than good looking.

I had a few older 1U SuperMicro dual LGA 771 servers laying around so I thought that I would play around with some firewall software. I personally use IP Cop, and I'm playing around with PfSense and Endian. But I'm doing this in my home office, so obviously the 1U fans are not acceptable as far as noise goes.

I have the top off of the case, I've removed the internal fans and I have a house fan blowing on the CPU heatsinks and it's keeping everything perfectly cool.

I've just recently ordered the GA-J1900N-D3V as a replacement/upgrade

Will this fit in a 1U case?

I couldn't find much documentation on it. It looks a little tall and I might have to get a 2U case which would be fine, I just want to know if I need to waste the money or not. Thanks!

Solution
I've got a build I did recently.

Ivy Bridge or sandy stuff is pretty cheap on ebay. ECC DDR3 unbuffered isn't though. I got a supermicro board for $50.
It's an overkill for only routing. I run multiple VMs on proxmox, including pfsense and ipfire.
right now ipfire has really good QoS. pfsense is nearly there.

https://ark.intel.com/products/65728/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1265L-v2-8M-Cache-2_50-GHz

I've been watching the new AMD stuff coming out. They have some very low power stuff hitting the market.
The ECC stuff looks like it's only available in premades though.
intel's new low power cpu's with ECC support are really expensive.
If you want to be ready for 10Gbs upgrades you might want new stuff with more pcie3.0 lanes. 1 quad nic...
I've got a build I did recently.

Ivy Bridge or sandy stuff is pretty cheap on ebay. ECC DDR3 unbuffered isn't though. I got a supermicro board for $50.
It's an overkill for only routing. I run multiple VMs on proxmox, including pfsense and ipfire.
right now ipfire has really good QoS. pfsense is nearly there.

https://ark.intel.com/products/65728/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1265L-v2-8M-Cache-2_50-GHz

I've been watching the new AMD stuff coming out. They have some very low power stuff hitting the market.
The ECC stuff looks like it's only available in premades though.
intel's new low power cpu's with ECC support are really expensive.
If you want to be ready for 10Gbs upgrades you might want new stuff with more pcie3.0 lanes. 1 quad nic uses 8 3.0 lanes.

Solution